PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for the cult/flynny
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question for the cult/flynny  (Read 5490 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the cult/flynny
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »

We've now had FIVE consecutive league clean sheets at Moss Lane.

I have gone back to 1966-67 and cannot find another example of this.

We managed four in 83-84 and 79-80 as already mentioned.  And we managed it three other times in the seventies (ended by Vics on 2 occasions).

But I couldn't find five anywhere.

Perhaps I missed one in the Unibond years!

I remember that we went over 1000 minutes without conceding a goal in 1974, however I have no idea how many of these minutes were at home.

If I remember correctly it was Gainsborough Trinity who scored against us to break the record in a 1-1 draw at Moss Lane.The game was played on a Friday night,possibly to avoid a clash with the Grand National :o

Father Flynn,

Details from 1974:

26th January
Altrincham 4  Bangor City 0

2nd February
Gainsborough Trinity 0  Altrincham 1

16th February
Altrincham 4  Netherfield 0

23rd February
Fleetwood 0 Altrincham 2

2nd March
Gainsborough Trinity 0 Altrincham 1
(NPL Cup First Round)

9th March
Buxton 0  Altrincham 3

10th March
Barrow 0  Altrincham 3

17th March
South Shields 0  Altrincham 0

23rd March
Bradford Park Avenue 0  Altrincham 0

25th March
Altrincham 1  Morecambe 0
(NPL Cup Second Round) 

29th March
Altrincham 1  Gainsborough Trinity 1
Monty Brown scored for the visitors after 15 minutes.
The awesome Joe Pritchard equalised from the penalty spot after 67 minutes.
This match was indeed switched to the Friday to avoid a clash with the Grand National.
The Altrincham Guardian match report describes Graham Heathcote as being "enigmatic"....!

We must have conceded a relatively early goal in the game prior to beating Bangor City at Moss Lane or perhaps we didn't quite make the 1000 minutes :-\

I'm seriously impressed with myself that I remembered the Grand National link.....I'll definitely make an appointment with my therapist in the morning :P

Wibble :-X

Monsignor Flynn,

The game prior to the Bangor City match was:

19th January 1974
Cheshire Senior Cup
Altrincham 1  Runcorn 2

Graham Heathcote put Alty ahead (41 minutes) but then Runcorn replied through Barry Whitbread (72 minutes) and Barry Howard (77 minutes).

So, by my calculations, the total time that we went without conceding a goal was 928 minutes.

Looking at the Runcorn team on that January afternoon back in 1974, I note that it contained SIX players who had either played for Alty previously or who went on to play for the Robins.

Can you name all of them?

I'm certain of  Barry Whitbread & Barry  Howard ;D, confident of Phil Wilson &  Mal Bailey & unsure about the other two.As a bit of a longshot I'll go for Johnny Worth & Tim Rutter,although I'm not even sure that the latter even played for us?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »

[
Monsignor Flynn,

19th January 1974
Cheshire Senior Cup
Altrincham 1  Runcorn 2

Graham Heathcote put Alty ahead (41 minutes) but then Runcorn replied through Barry Whitbread (72 minutes) and Barry Howard (77 minutes).

So, by my calculations, the total time that we went without conceding a goal was 928 minutes.

Looking at the Runcorn team on that January afternoon back in 1974, I note that it contained SIX players who had either played for Alty previously or who went on to play for the Robins.

I'm certain of  Barry Whitbread & Barry  Howard ;D, confident of Phil Wilson &  Mal Bailey & unsure about the other two.As a bit of a longshot I'll go for Johnny Worth & Tim Rutter,although I'm not even sure that the latter even played for us?
[/quote]

Hats off to you - six out of six!

Tim Rutter played a couple of league games for Alty during the 1982/83 season.

Congratulations.
You win a signed photograph of Stan Storton....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 05:27:28 PM »

What was Johnny Worth like in that game? He must have been getting on a bit in 1974, must've been strange to see someone who I believe is one of our biggest legends at another club in the tail end of his career?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

What was Johnny Worth like in that game? He must have been getting on a bit in 1974, must've been strange to see someone who I believe is one of our biggest legends at another club in the tail end of his career?

Ballers,

From what I recall of those days, Johnny Worth was still extremely effective alongside the likes of Whitbread and Howard in what was a very good Runcorn team.

Worth was the subject of one of my favourite descriptions of a player from the opposing team in the Robins Review from that era, which described him as "still defying nature....and his legs!"

Come on, Saughall Robin, you must have some great tales to relate concerning Johnny Worth....?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »

[
Monsignor Flynn,

19th January 1974
Cheshire Senior Cup
Altrincham 1  Runcorn 2

Hats off to you - six out of six!

Tim Rutter played a couple of league games for Alty during the 1982/83 season.

Congratulations.
You win a signed photograph of Stan Storton....

[/quote]

Oh...this is great stuff :-*

The Boy Flynn's on fire ;D
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for the cult/flynny