PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rushden ref
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rushden ref  (Read 5535 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Rushden ref
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:23:42 AM »

Having watched the game I'm not convinced he got an awful lot wrong. And too bad if he did, in my opinion it's a cop out ot blame the ref, he just doe his job to the best of his ability. Of course some decisions can have a big effect on matches like on Saturday but he can only give what he sees, and the more abuse refs get, the more we'll have a shortage of offiicials. And fair play to Phil for trying to clarify refereeing decisions.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Rushden ref
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:22 AM »

NB I'm not just being contentious, I genuinely believe that going ott with refs is helping noone, I'm not really that bothered if people agree or not.

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »

I have been a supporter of Alty home and away since the mid 70's and have seen many ref's who have been  good bad and indifferent. I have to say that the performance of the Rushden ref was one of the most inept and incompetent performances in all that time. I am not one of those people who blame the ref if we loose even though I am Alty through and through. I have been taking my lad and his friends for over 4 years now and tell then never to boo the referee off the pitch as they do a hard job. No such advice this time. I told them to boo him off to their hearts content as even a group of 11 year old kids could see that he had ruined the game without any justification. Were you watching the same game as the rest of us ?

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2007/6/2/235583.html

It would appear "one of the top officials in the country" depending on who you speak to...

Wasn't at the match, but the last sentence of the above reports sounds typical!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »

Nobody can beat Trelford Mills for sheer whistle happy, card frenzied, publicity seeking ineptitude.

He scarred my childhood.

No other refs come close to the cheif officiating clown green showman.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2007/6/2/235583.html

It would appear "one of the top officials in the country" depending on who you speak to...

Wasn't at the match, but the last sentence of the above reports sounds typical!

Graham Poll was supposed to be the best referee in the country dring the world cup 2006, and he f**ked it up !!

So I would take that report with a pinch of salt. He was totally out of his depth on Saturday.

Reading Robin

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »

I wasn't at the game to see his performance, but i generally agree that they get too much criticism.  Maybe it's the creation of a siege mentality (works for Ferguson), but i find it a little worrying that some seem to see every other referee as not just incompetent, but biased against us.

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »

I think they'd be respected much more if they simply owned up to mistakes, rather acting as stubborn and unapproachable as they do.

I've played in a few games this season so far, where the referee has made a hash, and at the next suitable stoppage in play, has made it abundantly clear that he made an error...and apologised...then continued with the game. What kind of moron could then berate a referee that obviously has the players interests at heart?

Pros and cons to this i'm sure...but most importantly, I think we need to recognise the need for an international signal for I've cocked it up, I apologise - but opposing fans rest assured I wont be "owing them one"! I think a quick sprint to the centre circle, with a 3 second "running man" should suffice.  ;D

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »

I have stayed out of any real debate on this matter since Saturday so as not to be accused of blind pro referee bias etc. and also as a consequence of comments made to me on Saturday.

As I have indicated I didn't see either challenge on Saturday but have since spoken to somebody who did, an experienced former Level 2 Referee. In his view the Sending off was marginal - worse than a yellow card but maybe not worthy of a red ( the sort of challenge that would warrant an Orange card were that possible) He said that a significant contributor may have been the angle Mr Joyce saw the challenge from and the way he percieved Shaun having gone into the challenge (what was his iintent I assume).

The R& D player's Yellow was a text book yellow card being reckless rather than likely to endanger an opponent (Not my assessment I reiterate)

As for Saturdays Ref being the worst seen I would like to remain those experienced enough of the performance of a Referee from Oldham by the name of Gary Shaw who sent off 3 Alty players in one home match against, I believe Slough (Mr Cult may be able to confirm this)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »

I have stayed out of any real debate on this matter since Saturday so as not to be accused of blind pro referee bias etc. and also as a consequence of comments made to me on Saturday.

As I have indicated I didn't see either challenge on Saturday but have since spoken to somebody who did, an experienced former Level 2 Referee. In his view the Sending off was marginal - worse than a yellow card but maybe not worthy of a red ( the sort of challenge that would warrant an Orange card were that possible) He said that a significant contributor may have been the angle Mr Joyce saw the challenge from and the way he percieved Shaun having gone into the challenge (what was his iintent I assume).

The R& D player's Yellow was a text book yellow card being reckless rather than likely to endanger an opponent (Not my assessment I reiterate)

As for Saturdays Ref being the worst seen I would like to remain those experienced enough of the performance of a Referee from Oldham by the name of Gary Shaw who sent off 3 Alty players in one home match against, I believe Slough (Mr Cult may be able to confirm this)

Mid 90's ? Weren't the players Mick Carmody, Greg Challindor and Barry Butler ? They also had a player sent off and had a penalty saved... ?

Altyant

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »

Also the salmon like leap and then triple roll of Bolaise, who appeared to have been shot but then miraculously got to his feet as soon as the ref sent Shaun off. 

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »

Having watched the game I'm not convinced he got an awful lot wrong. And too bad if he did, in my opinion it's a cop out ot blame the ref, he just doe his job to the best of his ability. Of course some decisions can have a big effect on matches like on Saturday but he can only give what he sees, and the more abuse refs get, the more we'll have a shortage of offiicials. And fair play to Phil for trying to clarify refereeing decisions.
[/quote/]

Is this a joke Hugh?
ParkINson's red and white army

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »

If he'd seen it 'front-on' at close quarters like I did, then it was no more than a yellow at worst. He saw it from behind Sean's back and also reacted to the loud sound made by boots and studs colliding.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:14:31 PM »

This is hopefully my final word on this subject. I feel the ref got 3 key decisions wrong. I felt it was down to inexperience. My fear is that inexperienced refs are being pushed forward too quickly. I hope he learns from his mistakes and has a better game the next time he visits Alty.
They really should be beating teams like us

Alex

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »

is he working off the ian hulme theory? robbie left the field wth a neck injury (so must have been a bad collision to cause that) as for there player he was in more danger by the way he was throwing himself around on the floor.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rushden ref