News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Where is the Light

Author Topic: Where is the Light  (Read 5470 times)

Jenga

Where is the Light
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »

Well we are all aware we have dropped in to the bottom four. It is not all doom and gloom but lets face it, however optimistic we may be the signs are not good.

So where will our savour come from. We have no Robinson this year and lets face it we have no money to get players in the transfer window.

So does anyone know if we are likely to find a god out there to save us from the drop? Does GH have a plans to sign anyone, will we get rid of some players etc.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The light is here
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 11:58:17 AM »

A drop into the dreaded zone and doom and gloom inevitably begins to set-in.

Yes it's gonna be very hard to stay up this season, but the last thing I would want the managment to do is hit the panic button. Right now we must continue to play the improved football we are playing and see what happens. Maybe bring a few new faces in after New Year, if we are still in the bottom 4 approaching the end of March, then things may have to change.

Look at Stockport last season - dead and buried, not a hope of staying up............then Oxford and Rushden went down.

A few good results makes a world of difference. If we had beaten Woking and Crawley at home, drew with 10 man Morecambe and not 'gifted' the excellent Clare two goals (all realistic outcomes) then where would we be now...............singing show the the way to Stoke City.

The light is here already, and after 21 Dec it gets lighter every day !
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Light
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:16:08 PM »

Especially when all the flodlights work  ;D ;D ;D

The squad can stay up and we just need to defend better, the goals are starting to come.

So stay behind GH and the team!

Daycare Dan

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 08:01:44 PM »

[/quote author=Alty Dave link=topic=730.msg5408#msg5408 date=1165857368]
So stay behind GH and the team!
[/quote]

Here, here.

If anyone thought this season was going to be a stroll in the park you must be new to Alty!!

We can stay up, if we keep playing the way we have while ironing the defensive mistakes out we should stay up. If we go into the last game needing a result I'll still be confident we can stay up.

I'd rather be in the bottom four now than in May!!

Altyant

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:44:19 PM »

We need to start winning away from home though. We cant just rely on picking up the points at home.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 09:03:26 PM »

We did not win many away last year 3 off the top of my head. I'm sure a couple of these draws will become wins soon. Little back in the side is a big boost, without him we had real trouble finding the net.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:46:26 PM »

i have a question for the people who keep going on about the "end is here" we are in the relegatin zone it's all over lets just get ready for the conf north next year, what were you expecting from this season? who honestly thought amongst us that we would be easily mid-table by now maybe even pushing for a play-off spot? let's be realistic this season is going to be hard it always was because it's our second year in the league, i think we are playing well with just a few defensive lapses but nothing too major we are only a win away from bieng out of the relegation zone. and this maybe news to some people but the season ends in may not january! ! ! so come on lets suport the lads not poke holes in every game, putting good play down to luck or the opposition had took there foot of the gas. a few good results over the next few weeks and we will be ok.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 11:49:31 PM »

i have a question for the people who keep going on about the "end is here" we are in the relegatin zone it's all over lets just get ready for the conf north next year, what were you expecting from this season? who honestly thought amongst us that we would be easily mid-table by now maybe even pushing for a play-off spot? let's be realistic this season is going to be hard it always was because it's our second year in the league, i think we are playing well with just a few defensive lapses but nothing too major we are only a win away from bieng out of the relegation zone. and this maybe news to some people but the season ends in may not january! ! ! so come on lets suport the lads not poke holes in every game, putting good play down to luck or the opposition had took there foot of the gas. a few good results over the next few weeks and we will be ok.

can i get an Amen?!!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 08:15:19 AM »

I think people need to remember just how Alty got into the Conference in the first place ie. effectively by buying the winning lottery ticket as far as the last day of league games, and the play-off games with Nuneaton (penalties) and Kettering (own goal in extra-time) were concerned. Only the final against Eastbourne could be considered as a "normal" game.

Depending on how you want to look at it, being in the Conference is either a bonus or a ball and chain. When you look at the resources most Conference clubs have at their disposal I think it would be harsh to criticise what Altrincham have achieved with a small, part-time squad..

Jenga

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 09:07:39 AM »

Just to come back on the comments above. My first post stated it is not all doom and gloom.

My questions was really based on the fact of will we be likely to get any new recruits in January to boost the squad.

The season is certainly not over, but we have to improve further hopefully this will happen and believe me I will be singing and pushing the lads on to victory as much as the next fan.

What is more worrying Macc are starting to win, damn I so want to play the scum again.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:14:07 AM »

Just to come back on the comments above. My first post stated it is not all doom and gloom.

My questions was really based on the fact of will we be likely to get any new recruits in January to boost the squad.

The season is certainly not over, but we have to improve further hopefully this will happen and believe me I will be singing and pushing the lads on to victory as much as the next fan.

What is more worrying Macc are starting to win, damn I so want to play the scum again.

Completely agree. I haven't seen anyone say that they're not going to get behind the lads just because we've slipped into the bottom 4. I don't think there's any harm in talking about if/how we can improve, where new signings are going to come from etc. :)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »

I think the whole Craney thing will have a bearing on what happens in January.  We NEED more players, but not players we can't afford in the first place.  

If staying at this level makes us a more profitable club then its worth a gamble to go over budget, but I don't believe we are that much better off financially at this level than in Conference North, because the extra income is simply offset by the extra costs.

I think we are capable of staying up, and I'd rather be backs to the wall now than go into a late freefall as in 2000.  

I think people need to remember just how Alty got into the Conference in the first place ie. effectively by buying the winning lottery ticket as far as the last day of league games, and the play-off games with Nuneaton (penalties) and Kettering (own goal in extra-time) were concerned. Only the final against Eastbourne could be considered as a "normal" game.

Depending on how you want to look at it, being in the Conference is either a bonus or a ball and chain. When you look at the resources most Conference clubs have at their disposal I think it would be harsh to criticise what Altrincham have achieved with a small, part-time squad..

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 11:49:31 AM »

I think we are much better off here, if we slip back into that hellish league (conf north) i fear our crowds will drop to around 600 a massive drop from the 1100 we will end up with this season. WE CAN SURVIVE,WE MUST SURVIVE, WE WILL SURVIVE!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 12:03:23 PM »

You are right to say we generally are much better off here than in Conference North, we get bigger gates and a higher profile and status in particular.  But I doubt we are any more secure financially.  I just don't think its worth spending so much money to the extent that, if we do go down, it would be a financial disaster. We'd end with a Conference North income but Conference National expenses.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Where is the Light