PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Clough on his way ?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clough on his way ?  (Read 4652 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Clough on his way ?
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »

Inevitable I suppose, Burton Albion are Derby in disguise aren't they ?  ;D

Altyant

Re: Clough on his way ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »

Could be a good time to play them in late January then!!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:02:55 AM »

I think we could get a point there given the way they struggled against Forest Green.

alty snapper

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »

Derby just confirmed they have Clough, what effect will this have on Burton's promotion plans then????

The Red Baron

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »

Good luck to Clough.

Am I right in saying that GH is now the longest serving manager currently in the BSP?

VofD

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »

I reckon Derby will regret this pretty soon. This appointment is obviously made on sentiment rather than managerial ability. However, I wish Nigel every success but to go from BSP( no matter how long you have been there)to Championship is a very, very big step.

It's like Heathcote going to Burnley.( If only ;) ;) ;) ;) ;))

Jimbo Alty FC

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »

Nigel clough is set to be the next Paul Ince good in the lower leagues but get to the Championship or Premiership and he won't hack it especially at a team Struggling and with no signs of fianancial backing he'll be forced with what he's go so for me Derby are going to join Doncaster in League one next season.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »

I disagree, I imagine he will have been courted and watched for a while. Where do managers learn the trade then?  Derby are not Premier League.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »

have to agree with sw. the point is thaat clough is nothing at all like paul ince who was managing 5 minutes before being offered a premier league club and finding it was well beyond him
young clough has been a manager for a while and learned his trade, as they always say. i hope he does well, if only to convince others that employing a manager who has an idea what hes doing rather than a big name ex international, is a good idea

joe

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »

have to agree with sw. the point is thaat clough is nothing at all like paul ince who was managing 5 minutes before being offered a premier league club and finding it was well beyond him
young clough has been a manager for a while and learned his trade, as they always say. i hope he does well, if only to convince others that employing a manager who has an idea what hes doing rather than a big name ex international, is a good idea

Nigel Clough is a big name ex international  ;)
I get your point though. He is nothing at all like Paul Ince having managed Burton for 10 years and should be given a chance to prove himself before being written off as a bad appointment. Good luck to him i say.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 09:38:19 AM »

I have to say that I admire Burton Albion and Nigel Clough for their style of football, playing the game the way it should be played, pass and move the ball about. I am an Alty fan through and through of course, but felt that Burton were one of the more attractive footballing sides to watch opposition wise.

I sincerely wish Nigel Clough well in his new role, and hope he transfers his style of play as a manager to Derby County. It took him some time to achieve where Burton are now, but I wonder what will happen to Burton now he has gone, time will tell. I think Derby will do well with him at the helm, but it will again take time. Hope their board have the patience. As a player I always thought he was an intelligent footballer, who could open up a defence with an astute pass, and always scored vital goals, especially for his old fella.

I can see his appeal to Derby, who have been eying him for some time, and no doubt admired Burton's football style. The question remains, can he tranfer his style to the Championship and beyond. My gut feeling is yes, but after 3-4 years or so. Still see a lot of his dads influence in him now and again, just keeps himself to himself a bit more.

Good luck is what I say

Steve from Sale

highwayman

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

Good luck to Clough.

Am I right in saying that GH is now the longest serving manager currently in the BSP?

From a different thread:-

Nigel Clough’s impending appointment at Derby will remove the longest serving manager from the Conference, as he had done over 10 years service with Burton, with 7 seasons in the Conference.

So will that now make the ‘Cote the current longest serving manager with one club in the Conference?

I reckon Steve Fallon has been at Histon also for over 10 years but of course only 2 of those have been in the Conference.

I also reckon that Nick Holmes of Salisbury has been there since August 2002 but again only 2 of those have been in the Conference.

So, now in his 4 consecutive season in the Conference, is the ’Cote the longest serving manager at the same club in the Conference?

If so, well done GH and keep up the good work!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 05:16:12 PM »

Good luck to Clough.

Nigel Clough’s impending appointment at Derby will remove the longest serving manager from the Conference, as he had done over 10 years service with Burton, with 7 seasons in the Conference.

So will that now make the ‘Cote the current longest serving manager with one club in the Conference?

I reckon Steve Fallon has been at Histon also for over 10 years but of course only 2 of those have been in the Conference.

I also reckon that Nick Holmes of Salisbury has been there since August 2002 but again only 2 of those have been in the Conference.

So, now in his 4 consecutive season in the Conference, is the ’Cote the longest serving manager at the same club in the Conference?

Liam Daish has been manager of Ebbsfleet throughout our current tenure in the BSP.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »

Good luck to Clough.

Liam Daish has been manager of Ebbsfleet throughout our current tenure in the BSP.

But they changed team name, so he doesn't count..  :D

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »

But they changed team name, so he doesn't count..  :D

Thoght he was just one of the 30,000 managers they have.
Full time and proud of it
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Clough on his way ?