Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What has happened to the Messenger? Come back Mike and Connor!

Author Topic: What has happened to the Messenger? Come back Mike and Connor!  (Read 12380 times)

markecky

« on: February 03, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »

Just looked at the Northwich guardian who have daily Vics news and a preview of tonight.

The messenger site has just been updated to with this.....

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/sport/4097383.Alty_on_the_home_run/

I think the home games start tonight don't they?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:56:06 PM by markecky »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened to the Messenger? Come back Mike and Connor!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

Very disappointing indeed!

I know we were spoilt a bit with reporters as excellent as Mike and Connor, but this is very poor form on the part of the Messenger.
Come on Alty!

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

Just looked at the Northwich guardian who have daily Vics news and a preview of tonight.

The messenger site has just been updated to with this.....

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/sport/4097383.Alty_on_the_home_run/

I think the home games start tonight don't they?

That looks like John Laidlar's article that appears each week with details of what's coming up soon. When it appears in the printed version later in the week it'll make sense, but it's confusing to have it in the online version today.

At risk of sounding like a fogey, standards at the Messenger seem to have slipped recently.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »

Bring back the Express Advertiser!   :)
Come on Alty!

markecky

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »

For years the Messenger was rubbish for us..then it became really good.

I see now..that will be JL's piece.

I hope it doesn't go back.  The backpage was great (although again done by John)  last week but the online presence is virtually nil.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »

"Robins get their wings clipped"

;D
Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

I spoke to Connor during a game at Moss Lane just after he had departed for his job in Warrington.

He confirmed that the Messenger would not be recruiting or appointing a replacement for him and that the sports reporting would be handled by the editorial staff.

This appears to have translated as the cutting and pasting of excerpts from John Laidlar's website plus the odd article written by one of Alty's Press Officers, John Edwards.

Look at how the pages of estate agents' advertisements in the Messenger have diminished in recent times - their advertising income must be suffering horrendously.

In short, standards have fallen and are unlikely to be restored to Crockettesque levels.

I never did like Eddie Shah....

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:38:52 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »

Bring back the Express Advertiser!   :)

Bring back the Alty Guardian.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

alty snapper

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »

There has also been a cut in their photographers, from 3 down to 1, i do always offer photos to them when they have no photographer at the game and Connor was always very grateful and used them, now depending on who does the report that particular week depends on if they use or even get the photos i send them! It has been a real disappointment to see the drop in publicity but i guess a forced one of their budget.

Aussie Bob

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »

Used to live round the corner from Eddie Shah in the eighties when he took on the unions ....the union delivered a coffin to his house !! 

The messenger was always crap ...unless you wanted to gawp at the ridiculous house prices in Hale Barns then you could read  it in 3 minutes flat ...

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »

Can't imagine Sale (Sharks), are entirely pleased about this if they are trying to keep up their pretence of not being a manchester rugby club though. No?

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »

For years the Messenger was rubbish for us..then it became really good.

I see now..that will be JL's piece.

I hope it doesn't go back.  The backpage was great (although again done by John)  last week but the online presence is virtually nil.
Just so you know...It is true Connor has moved on to Warrington, and the word, initially, from the Messenger's editorial department was they were not going to replace him. That still appears to be the case. I was concerned it would mean no coverage in the paper, and so volunteered to provide a back page piece each week, with John Laidlar supplying match reports inside. This I have done every week, interviewing GH in his office after games I've been able to attend or otherwise phoning him the following morning. I am glad Ecky thought last week's was 'great' (yes, it was mine, not JL's - the by-line was wrong, due to a computer cock-up). I would like to think that, in the paper at least, there is a reasonably thorough service, in terms quotes from the manager about matches played and matches coming up, and about injury updates. I hope that's the case, anyway. Unfortunately, I live outside the Messenger's circulation area these days, so don't see it, but they always tell me the stuff is going in when I phone to check they've got it. I also did a story on the Slim For Alty campaign last week which appeared on the news pages and hopefully counted as more good publicity for the club. All this is unpaid, needless to say, but I am more than happy to do it. Their website is a shambles, admittedly, but there's not much I can do about that, because I don't have any access to it. I will have a word with them, though, because it would be simple enough to use the copy supplied by myself and John on the web as well as in the paper. Finally, I hope this doesn't sound as if I've taken exception to any of the views expressed on this particular topic. I haven't. I just wanted to inform everyone of what has happened since Connor moved on.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team