Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 When did we last play a match on a snow-covered pitch at Moss Lane?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When did we last play a match on a snow-covered pitch at Moss Lane?  (Read 9025 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Glancing out over the snow-engulfed Moss Lane turf this morning prompted me to wonder when we last played a competitive fixture at home on such a surface.

I have vague memories of a 4-1 victory over Stalybridge Celtic in the Cheshire Senior Cup at a snowy Moss Lane back in January 1982....
Anyone else recall this one?

Otherwise, wasn't there that FA Trophy tie against Bishop Auckland at Moss Lane back in February 1985 when our oh-so lovable friends from the North East had to be reprimanded for bombarding Trevor Dance with snowballs?

I'm sure that there is a photograph in an old issue of the Robins Review in which various esteemed Alty supporters (and Phil Taylor) are pictured clearing snow off the Moss Lane pitch with an assortment of brushes....but I'm not certain to which game this incident actually relates.

Do we still possess an orange ball in case of emergencies?

Flynny...Management Guru...gazelle...Jack Swindells' No.1 Fan...ATS...Saughall Robin...Mister Heslop...are you out there?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: When did we last play a match on a snow-covered pitch at Moss Lane?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 06:01:55 PM »

I recall a very early 80's, possibly even late 70's game v Runcorn when Alty fans bombarded the 'Corn keeper with snowballs from the Chequers End just after the start of the second half, with the ref having to blow up and have words suggesting it had to stop or game off?  I think the pitch was clear or maybe just the lines were clear of snow.

I attempted to attend the Macc home New Years Day,78-79, when I popped into The Bridge for a couple all was well. 45 mins or so later a number of Macc players walked in, and looking outside a good 6-7" of snow had fallen in a very short time. Trains were off, managed to get a 263 bus to Sale then a long cold walk back to Sale Moor.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »

Not a game played at Moss Lane, but the last snow- covered pitch I remember us playing on was away at Stafford on Boxing Day 2004.

I seem to recall two over-sized santas being in the Alty and that day too! I wonder who they could have been?  :D
Come on Alty!

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:11:44 PM »

Not as Moss Lane, but the cup game at York that preceeded at 4-3 win at ML (I think) was on a very frozen picth with a dusting of snow. Can't quite remember the year (early 80s)but it'll be on the site somewhere in the FA Cup records.

Can recall bight orange ball and at least a couple in inches of snow on the pitch. Sat in the stand for some reason - may have been late 60s early 70s when season tickets were for stand only!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:44 PM »

That stafford game should never have been played, players just kept sliping over, we won though
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:11:13 PM »

Not a game played at Moss Lane, but the last snow- covered pitch I remember us playing on was away at Stafford on Boxing Day 2004.

I seem to recall two over-sized santas being in the Alty and that day too! I wonder who they could have been?  :D

One of those santa's was Mr Flynn, but I am sure you knew that..........I recall the Alty supporters (and some players) only got there 15 mins before kick-off due to an accident on the M6.
I recall Scotty complaining that his feet were numb running around in 4 inch of snow chasing an orange ball
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »

My favourite 'snow' memory has always been an away match at Buxton in the (very) early 70's when we were stood on the open (far) end of the ground heckling the Buxton keep Ted Burgin who must have been well into his Forties (a great age - in fact geriatric - in my opinion then!) and wore 'sport wraps' on his elbows and knees.

We started snowballing him and he turned round and gave us the classic quote "I don't mind a bit of fun but mind my knees lads!"

I used it the other day on the grandkids  ;D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

AT

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:25:59 AM »

One of those santa's was Mr Flynn, but I am sure you knew that..........I recall the Alty supporters (and some players) only got there 15 mins before kick-off due to an accident on the M6.
I recall Scotty complaining that his feet were numb running around in 4 inch of snow chasing an orange ball

The other santa was Dave Tracey

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 12:28:10 PM »

Not as Moss Lane, but the cup game at York that preceeded at 4-3 win at ML (I think) was on a very frozen picth with a dusting of snow. Can't quite remember the year (early 80s)but it'll be on the site somewhere in the FA Cup records.

Can recall bight orange ball and at least a couple in inches of snow on the pitch. Sat in the stand for some reason - may have been late 60s early 70s when season tickets were for stand only!

Christ yes, that was cold. I thought my feet had welded into the concrete of the away terrace by the end of the game. It was the 1981-82 season and the 0-0 draw gave no indication of the coronary inducing nature of the replay.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »

I recall a very early 80's, possibly even late 70's game v Runcorn when Alty fans bombarded the 'Corn keeper with snowballs from the Chequers End just after the start of the second half, with the ref having to blow up and have words suggesting it had to stop or game off?  I think the pitch was clear or maybe just the lines were clear of snow.

I attempted to attend the Macc home New Years Day,78-79, when I popped into The Bridge for a couple all was well. 45 mins or so later a number of Macc players walked in, and looking outside a good 6-7" of snow had fallen in a very short time. Trains were off, managed to get a 263 bus to Sale then a long cold walk back to Sale Moor.

I recall a game in the mid 80's when the ref stopped the game to have a chat with my friend for throwing snowballs at the keeper from the Chequers End.

Alas opponents and dates have slipped away over time, all I am left with is fine wine and memories....
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »

Last snow match of significance I can remember was the FA Cup at Grantham 1967 with a large Altrincham following and many coaches.

I remember our keeper (i think George Smith) being penalised for a gathering the ball from a cross in what was a heavliy snow laiden pitch and then to all our frustration he was penalised with a free kick in the area for the new implemented 4 step rule as he took 5 or 6 steps to keep his footing in the snow.  I think we won 3-1.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »

Last snow match of significance I can remember was the FA Cup at Grantham 1967 with a large Altrincham following and many coaches.

I remember our keeper (i think George Smith) being penalised for a gathering the ball from a cross in what was a heavliy snow laiden pitch and then to all our frustration he was penalised with a free kick in the area for the new implemented 4 step rule as he took 5 or 6 steps to keep his footing in the snow.  I think we won 3-1.

We won 3-0. I think Bert Lister and Swindell were the scorers.
I trained it down to Alty and got a coach but the weather was terrible - made worse by the fact that there was a foot and mouth outbreak on in Lincolnshire and the coach was diverted through God knows where. Arrived about 30 minutes into the match, enjoyed it thoroughly and gave myself a sprained wrist ringing the old ARP bell I used to take on such occasions.

Happy days!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »

At Grantham, Bert Lister (or Frankie Peters?) was in a bad car crash on the way to the game, but still played and was Man of the Match.

Do people remember the fog at Boston in our 4-1win at york Street in 78 (or was it the5-2 in'79)

markecky

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »

gave myself a sprained wrist ringing the old ARP bell I used to take on such occasions.

Happy days!

And people complain about drums!!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 06:51:04 PM »

I was at that Gratham Match and the previous time in the FA cup that i can remember was at Wolves
Harold
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 When did we last play a match on a snow-covered pitch at Moss Lane?