Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This is just the sort of club mascot we need to bring back to Moss Lane.....

Author Topic: This is just the sort of club mascot we need to bring back to Moss Lane.....  (Read 2839 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Excerpt from the Altrincham Supporters Club notes in the programme for the Altrincham v Sankeys Cheshire League match on 16th September 1961:

"We had a club mascot in 1933, well-known to many old and loyal supporters of the club.

JEB the goat was gaily dressed in a red and white coat and for home games was chained to a post in front of the main stand.

He travelled in the team coach for away matches until the odour got TOO strong and the players decided he was getting too old.

He was buried at the end of the Popular Side stand, Golf Road End."

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

Does it mention if he died before they buried him?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Did I read once that we used to walk a pig along a wall at Moss Lane to signify that a home match was being played?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Did I read once that we used to walk a pig along a wall at Moss Lane to signify that a home match was being played?

Indeed, that story is included in the 'A to Z of Alty' on the main website.

Perhaps we could adapt and update this publicity stunt and arrange for an automated waxwork replica of George Heslop to be stood on top of the new catering block at the Golf Road End and wave at passers-by on days when Alty have a home match...?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:49:40 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altyant

Does it mention if he died before they buried him?

I was just thinking that myself

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Indeed, that story is included in the 'A to Z of Alty' on the main website.

Perhaps we could adapt and update this publicity stunt and arrange for an automated waxwork replica of George Heslop to be stood on top of the new catering block at the Golf Road End and wave at passers-by on days when Alty have a home match...?

World's trickiest!

I mean be fair, walking along the street outside fair enough but how hard is walking on a wall anyway (admittedly I'd only do it if drunk), especially for a pig..'here you go AltyPig get your porky ass up there,we're playing Hucknall and Danny Bacon today, squel for a 3pm kick off,'  :)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

All in all it's just an Alty pig on the wall.......
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This is just the sort of club mascot we need to bring back to Moss Lane.....