PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 You are the ref
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You are the ref  (Read 5010 times)

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
You are the ref
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:12:40 PM »

There were 2 incidents in an eventful game I reffed this morning. I just curious what people would have given as their decision.
First Incident. The keeper has just taken a goal kick. The opposing player has won a header in the centre circle and has put the striker clear on goal but he is 40 yards from goal. The ref notices the keeper who has taken the goal kick, lying on the ground injured and not moving. What action would you take?

Second incident. The red team are attacking the blue team penalty area. A member of the red team is lying injured just outside the penalty area, but it is not a head injury or a serious injury. The red team play on. A cross is cleared by  a blue team defender to a red team player about 35 yards from goal. The red team goalkeeper and defender look at injured player and shout for the ball to put out of play. The red team striker shoots from 35 yards and lobs the ball over the keeper into the net. What action would you take?
They really should be beating teams like us

Dougals Dad

Re: You are the ref
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »

I'm not sure about the first one: I don't think there is an obligation to stop the game but, if the 'keeper is not moving then it would be the safe hing to do.

In the 2nd one I think the goal would have to stand. It would be down to the red's discretion if they wished to gift a goal back.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »

This happened in a Sunday League Cup Semi-Final. The first Incident happened in the first half. The second incident happened in the 88th minute.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:41:22 PM »

First one I'd stop it straight away, hopefully before the attacker gets his shot off. You (we) have a responsibility for the wellbeing of the players on the FOP and if , as you say he's not moved for a while and you haven't seen the mechanism of the injury you don't know if he's had a coronary, a stroke or something else requiring immediate medical attention.

Second one is a bit more tricky...The above still applies but, if his own team have decided to play on then there's not much you can do other than allow play to continue.

What was the score at the time of incident 2?

What did you do?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:45:50 PM »

Without looking at any of the replies.

1. Goal.

2. Goal

You don't have any choce under the laws of the game as far as I can see?

fuertes

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »

The first one is a toughie. I'd probably allow the goal. The second one is definitely a goal. I despise the notion that you must kick the ball out of play if someone gets a knock. Serious head injury - yes. Kick on the ankle - get up you fairy.

I made the point when we played Crawley last week. Obviously I want Alty to win, but when they kicked the ball out because Dale had taken a whack on the leg it really pissed me off. Just play on.

Jacobs

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:35:31 AM »

Ballers is right

Goal

Goal

It is up to teh player if they want to stop the game,

If it is not a head / blatant serious injury the ref should not stop the game

What did you do!!

YorkyAlty

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »

I am a referee too and agree with the others.

The goalkeeper injury is unlikely to be an automatic stoppage as he just kicked the ball, I would judge this as a referees discretion, if the attack is likely to score I would be keen to allow play to continue.

2nd one as the others say is defined in law, kicking the ball out of play is not in the rule book there is no obligation to do so and just like the Droylesden game the goal has to be given.

Dave

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »

As an expert in this field I am pleased to put this one to bed with a definitive answer straight from the well aclaimed book "So you want to be the centre of attention?" by Mike Riley.

In the first case do your official run strut (see diag 2.3) waving your arms madly like a swan trying to take off...when the player scores past the prostrate keeper check surreptitiously with your linesman before importantly blowing your whistle and pointing to the centre circle (definitive signal for awarding a goal)....it may be anidea to also point to the keeper as if awarding something else to initiate a diversionary confusion to difuse any potential crowd uprising until you are back in the centre circle...book the scorer for unnecessary celebrating as he shouts "yes!" as the ball hits the net...make get up motions to the keeper before calling for the stretcher and then book him for feigning injury as the ambulance arrives....wave away protests from keepers team as he is put into ambulance making a mental note to deny them an stone wall penalty if the chance comes (remember your refresher course on asserting your unquestionable authority)...don't forget to smile annoyingly at the now outraged fans calling you a "w**ker out to ruin the game".

In the second case inexplicably blow for a foul that never happened to prevent a controversial incident "see how to deflame controversy and keep the fans on your side"....and book the player for aiming his shot at goal a split milli second after you blew the whistle. This is a good opportunity for running backwards away from the situation while the players and fans stand motionless scratching their heads in bewilderment thereby emphasising your authority and the fact you are the only one who really knows what the hell is going on.

Strut off pitch at end to jeers and boos, have a drinky with the assesor and get your notes straight for the inevitable questions from the FA when the managers send in their reports.

Don't forget to send the keeper in hospital a get well soon card...remember how important it is to remain personal with the players and maintain relationships.....you may wish to include a reminder that he cannot play in the Wembley cup final pinacle of his career match as that is his 4th yellow card in 6 years.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »

I'll agree with what has been said in that both goals should stand under normal circumstances. I am perhaps a bit over cautious re Player safety since very early in my career a player had a fit when nobody was looking and I played on until someone ran on to help them. I've also had a player faint in hot weather. That was scary to see them lying there for no obvious reason

fuertes

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »

I'll agree with what has been said in that both goals should stand under normal circumstances. I am perhaps a bit over cautious re Player safety since very early in my career a player had a fit when nobody was looking and I played on until someone ran on to help them. I've also had a player faint in hot weather. That was scary to see them lying there for no obvious reason

Understandable I suppose, especially with the recent run of players popping their clogs on the pitch. Has anyone seen the Feher death when playing for Benfica? The ref books him, then Feher just collapses and, well, dies. Tragic stuff.

It's when someone gets a knock and is clutching their leg/back/hip that kicking the ball out infuriates me. The game should be played hard and fair. As it is these days we have two ludicrous extremes. On the one hand we see players being overly soft with the whole kicking the ball out for the opposition because someone has broken a nail fiasco, then on the other we have people diving around all over the place in an attempt to get someone sent off.

At least it's not quite as bad in the Conference as the Primadonnaship...

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »

i would sort of hope that if i collapsed for no apparent reason and didnt move, perhaps people would stop what they were doing and see if i was ok
just a thought

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »

As a serious answer within the rules I guess in both cases you could either
a) blow your whistle and award a drop ball if you believe a serious head or life threatening injury has occurred or
b) hope the players act within the spirit of the game and boot the ball out of play to allow play to stop.

In both cases a goal could be awarded but I would book the players concerned for ungentlemanly conduct.

Spirit of the rules Vs the letter of the law and a good example of the law is an ass.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »

Thanks for your replies. What I did for the first incident was soon as I saw the keeper down on the floor. I didn't know what happened to him. I blew the whistle straight away. The striker carried on and put the ball in the net. It turned out the keeper had a dead leg from when he fell awkwardly from punching the ball clear  about 10 seconds earlier. The keeper carried on but was substituted in the second half due to that injury. I re-started play with a drop ball which the defending(Red) team gave the ball back to the attacking (blue)team in their own half. The score at the time was 1-0 to the blue team.
The second incident I played on and awarded the goal. I felt the injured player wasn't seriously injured and it wasn't a head injury and as it was his own team that was attacking i felt it was the right decision to carry on. The blue team goalkeeper and defender stopped expecting played to be stopped while the red team stiker scored from 35 yards. It turned out to be the winning goal in a 4-3 thriller. As you probably guessed the blue team were not to happy with my decision.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »

I'm not sure about the first one: I don't think there is an obligation to stop the game but, if the 'keeper is not moving then it would be the safe hing to do.

In the 2nd one I think the goal would have to stand. It would be down to the red's discretion if they wished to gift a goal back.

YESSSS! Me wins!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 You are the ref