News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Accrington involved in more scandal

Author Topic: Accrington involved in more scandal  (Read 3385 times)

Silver Fox

« on: April 07, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »

Five players have been charged with breaching the Football Association's betting rules with some accused of gambling thousands of pounds on their team to lose.
The betting scandal relates to Accrington Stanley's last game of the last League Two season at home to Bury. Four players then at Accrington - Jay Harris, David Mannix, Robert Williams and Peter Cavanagh - and Andrew Mangan, who was at Bury, have been charged with betting on a victory for the visitors.
An FA statement said: "All five are alleged to have placed bets on Bury to win this match. Mannix is alleged to have placed stakes to the value of approximately £4,000; Mangan £3,500; Harris £2,000; Williams £1,000; and Cavanagh on a £5 accumulator."
Both Harris and Cavanagh played in the game which ended 2-0 to Bury. All five face serious sanctions including the possibility of long suspensions if the charges are found proven.

Dougals Dad

Re: Accrington involved in more scandal
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:28:24 PM »

Twits!

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »

honestly i would ban them for life

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »

Sheff Wed players were jailed for that in the late 60's, Swann and someone else?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »

The three players in the 60's were Peter Swann and David Bronco Layne of Wednesday and Tony Kay of Everton.
Kaye and Swann were England internationals.
Swann and Lane later played against Alty in the 70's for I think Matlock Town in the NPL where if my memory is correct Swann was player-manager.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »

The three players in the 60's were Peter Swann and David Bronco Layne of Wednesday and Tony Kay of Everton.
Kaye and Swann were England internationals.
Swann and Lane later played against Alty in the 70's for I think Matlock Town in the NPL where if my memory is correct Swann was player-manager.

Pretty much correct.......Not only were the players jailed, but they were given life bans. The saddest part of the whole affair was that they 'made beer money' only from their misdemeanors and that other culprits were never caught. The life bans were lifted once the players had just about reached playing pensionable age, although Swan did play again for Sheffield Wednesday.
I know that Peter Swan never lived this matter down and went on to run a pub in Chesterfield where his England cap was displayed behind the bar.

Not sure what happened to David Layne (Bronco was a school nickname after some wild west person called Lane ?)

All three players were at Sheffield Wednesday at the time - Kay went to Everton before things came to light though
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:56:53 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »

Interesting point when considered, low wages then so the incentive there to take a chance for a bit of extra cash. Compare to now where the overpaid prima donnas still want the top dollar.

Back in the 60's these guys earned similar money to top earning manual workers. Hmm, no personal pension, done at 36, and unless you'd just been part of the world cup winning side, little chance of a TV/PR job. I''m certainly not agreeing it was ok but you can see the temptation.

My dad played for East Didsbury as an amateur, then got a gig at Stalybridge Celtic in the late 40's, he cycled up there from Withington and was paid 18 shillings travel money. Apparently even then that was under the counter.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

York Alty

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »

If found guilty they can expect very long bans indeed.  That sort of stupid behaviour brings a nasty smell of corruption & match fixing.  Thick as my gravy if they did it.

DarrenH

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »

The funniest bit is if you are going to take this chance at least have a few grand on it to make it worth while.
Poor Cavanagh only had a £5 accumlator !!!
Bet he is kicking himself big time !
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team