PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 where would you start?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: where would you start?  (Read 8628 times)

Jacko

where would you start?
« on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »

;DIn terms of strengthening the side I would like to see a left winger I suppose were back here again aren't we!!! Do we realy need one?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: where would you start?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »

Defence is fine. We need another genuine wide player along with Denham (not necessarily playing at the same time!) and a 20+ goals per season striker

Plus a reserve team in the Cheshire League to give the fringe players match practice in a non-combatitive environment and bring on the most promising players in the youth team.

If I win the Lotto tonight, we'll be fine
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »

Agree Stu and the back 3/4/5 depending on the system is fine.

Our midfield is steady, although I think we're a little short on numbers. If Lawton or Danyllyk gets injured, we're okay to shift Densmore in but any further absentees and we're starting to get really threadbare.

If Dale can continue to progress I'm hoping he'll up his goal tally to 10-15. Combined with Senior, Little and Denham chipping in I'm hopeful of mid-table and a run in the Cup or Trophy.

PS. In his few cameos I think Super Joe looked decent at the back end of the season.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 01:45:36 PM »

We're desperate for a couple of central midfielders - Danylyk and Lawton aren't good enough. Someone who is comfortable on the ball, is creative and can provide good link up with the forwards. At the moment, our game involves getting the ball up to the front asap, completely bypassing the midfield - usually because it's lost far too quickly imo. I'd like to see Kevin Street get some games next year.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »

Teh squad needs to be a little bigger - a couple of injuries and suspensions and we struggle to put out a full bench.

Lew Needham

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »

We're desperate for a couple of central midfielders - Danylyk and Lawton aren't good enough. Someone who is comfortable on the ball, is creative and can provide good link up with the forwards. At the moment, our game involves getting the ball up to the front asap, completely bypassing the midfield - usually because it's lost far too quickly imo. I'd like to see Kevin Street get some games next year.

Quality post. Totally correct in my opinion!!

Jacko

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »

not sure about the street bit he's not mobile enough for this league hate to be negative but dont think he'll be here next season IMO
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:22:24 PM by Jacko »

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 02:23:39 PM »

We let in too many goals this season why?

Personally I dont see it being the defence that was weak but the midfield.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »

i would like to see an attacking midfielder brought in who can pick out a telling pass and is comfortable on the ball (a big ask I know). defence wise  I am happy with the lads who are there now, I would also like to see more width.. and most of all my biggest gripe is that we should leave someone up on the half way for corners etc.. I hope the club can keep the majority of the lads who saw us through this season, just a couple more to bolster the squad... Finally I would like to see the end of players getting silly cautions for arguing with the ref.. There isnt a ref alive that is going to change his mind due to a player moaning at him...

Lew Needham

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »

not sure about the street bit he's not mobile enough for this league hate to be negative but dont think he'll be here next season IMO

Sorry I din't mean about the Street part but rather the need for qaulity ball player centre mid!

markecky

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »

Can't see Joe being here next year to be honest...people will have to go if others are to come in and that will be the fringe players and Warren Peyton.

Nonleaguer

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »

In terms of building for next season, we desparately need to improve on the goals for column and reduce the goals conceded.(stating the obvious really, but it's that simple!)

As stated elsewhere, there is a heavy reliance on Colin Little to score 15+ each season but it is the duty of other squad members to contribute as well. Given that we regularly bear witness of the urgency to get the ball upfield to the front 2, this instruction must come from one area The Manager, midfielders are told to hold position and avoid going gung ho. Perhaps this is the real reason behind the lack of goals coming from that area.

Danylyk and Lawton are more than capable of holding their own at this level and given further freedom to roam would perhaps actually improve our tally of goals. They are constantly in the thick of it and do more than their fair share of defending to support the back four.

Ideally it would be good to see a liitle bit more rotation of Stuart Coburn and Richard Acton to avoid complacency.

Too many teams this season have locked in on our left hand side and seen that as the area to exploit.

Defensively, former posts argue we are strong but the reality is the goals conceded column which does not support the argument.

In summary I think the current squad needs a couple of tweaks but no radical surgery and we will surely attain a position above mid table next season.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »

In addition tall the above comments I think it's imperative that those players who stay from the current squad look to take it up a notch or two wherever possible. There have been some great performers throughout the season but there is always room for improvement (some more than others obviously!).

This team has the potential to go on to bigger and better things if we can make the right additions this summer. Some incredibly shrewd signings have been made in the last 12 months and if we could replicate that over the next 12 months who knows what we might achieve?

There is nothing to stop us emulating what Histon have done although I'd like to think we could do it in a slightly more "aesthetically pleasing" fashion.  :)
Come on Alty!

joe

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »

In terms of building for next season, we desparately need to improve on the goals for column and reduce the goals conceded.(stating the obvious really, but it's that simple!)

As stated elsewhere, there is a heavy reliance on Colin Little to score 15+ each season but it is the duty of other squad members to contribute as well. Given that we regularly bear witness of the urgency to get the ball upfield to the front 2, this instruction must come from one area The Manager, midfielders are told to hold position and avoid going gung ho. Perhaps this is the real reason behind the lack of goals coming from that area.

Danylyk and Lawton are more than capable of holding their own at this level and given further freedom to roam would perhaps actually improve our tally of goals. They are constantly in the thick of it and do more than their fair share of defending to support the back four.

Ideally it would be good to see a liitle bit more rotation of Stuart Coburn and Richard Acton to avoid complacency.

Too many teams this season have locked in on our left hand side and seen that as the area to exploit.

Defensively, former posts argue we are strong but the reality is the goals conceded column which does not support the argument.

In summary I think the current squad needs a couple of tweaks but no radical surgery and we will surely attain a position above mid table next season.

Richard Acton is a good back up keeper and should be kept as such. No need to rotate the keepers because he's  not a patch on Stuart Coburn.

fuertes

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »

I think the dismissal of our central midfield partnership as not good enough is a little harsh.

I agree we bypass them too often, but that could be as much about having a back four that's poor on the ball as anything else (I'm not knocking the back four, their main job is to defend). It could also be an attempt to utilise Dale and get flicks on.

I have to say, whilst the guy turned out to be a bit of a prick, I liked the 3-4-3 with Elam and Senior flanking Little. That way even if were direct we could knock it into the corners and continue to attack rather than hope a Dale flick works out...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 where would you start?