Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 You know the FA Cup games we switched to Old Trafford and Maine Road?

Author Topic: You know the FA Cup games we switched to Old Trafford and Maine Road?  (Read 3097 times)

fuertes

Is there any footage of those games anywhere, or does anyone have any pictures from the day?

30,000 people watching an Alty 'home' game seems like something out of a fairytale these days...

Jezza

Happy to oblige you with my trip down amnesia lane nostalic slideshow!

Some nice images of the new red robin club (chequers) and the ground as it was in the glory days

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2013789917

Jezza

turn your speakers up incidentally...the games you ask about are on there including Latchford latching onto a terrible back pass from an alty players who clearly had no future with the club.

JT

Watching that video made me wonder, all those fans that turned up at Moss Lane, where have they gone now?  Why don't they take an interest in the club anymore?  I've never been lucky enough to seen our ground that full, makes me wish I could!

fuertes

Awesome stuff. Amazing how packed Moss Lane used to get!

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Watching that video made me wonder, all those fans that turned up at Moss Lane, where have they gone now?  Why don't they take an interest in the club anymore?  I've never been lucky enough to seen our ground that full, makes me wish I could!

i think that watching football has a totally different character now and people, particularly kids, just dont get into the habit. most people i know think of football as something you consume on tv . they never really get the idea of just turning up because at most premier grounds you cant. everyone now thinks they are a football expert and has an opinion, everyone you speak to claims to be a football fan but few go. the premiership has killed football in my opinion. this comes from someone who has spent the last 20 years watching west ham. (and why i've come back to alty)
when i was growing up i would go and get the bus to old trafford and maine road if i wanted to, i could pay on the day and afford it on my pocket money. most of the kids at school went to games from time to time, and i bet thats not true now.  i chose alty because it felt like i belonged but the point is that crowds were made up of thousands of people who would just go now and again and decide on the day. as i said they just dont get into that habit now.
when the cup games etc come round i think it just never crosses peoples mind that they could go and that it would be better live

sorry thats just my pissed off old man rant

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Jim, you are spot on mate. My boy supports Fulham, I take him when I can but only to category C games, I'm not prepared to pay £40+ for me and £17 for him for a game of football where the entertainment level is not guaranteed. In the old days the only live football was the cup final, World Cup and European Cup final. The younger generation are spoiled now and hence will not turn out to see their local side.

Also as you rightly say, back in the 70's/early 80's it was a pocket money thing. The Premier League has a lot to answer for.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Altyroo

Your correct about the pocket money thing. I used to go to Old Trafford in the early 80's and paid £1.50 to get in at the gate and 50p for a programme. Then in 86 i saw the light and started to go to Moss Lane via Wembly.

bighairedmike

Your correct about the pocket money thing. I used to go to Old Trafford in the early 80's and paid £1.50 to get in at the gate and 50p for a programme. Then in 86 i saw the light and started to go to Moss Lane via Wembly.

Bit out of the way really, wasn't it?  ;)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 You know the FA Cup games we switched to Old Trafford and Maine Road?