PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 fish out of water
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: fish out of water  (Read 6542 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: fish out of water
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 12:42:53 AM »

I recall those three Fisher replays well, pre penalty days. Also I think Tommy Doc's first away as mgr was there and some Millwall boys gave him some jip at half time which he rebuffed very well.

SW,

Spot on re. Tommy Docherty's first away fixture as Alty manager.

A 3-2 defeat at Fisher Athletic on 3rd October 1987.

Memory recall of Brian Flynnesque quality from you there!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

baldrick

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 07:23:32 AM »

Fisher don't really have any supporters. The attendance is made up of Millwall/Charlton/Palace fans who can't afford to watch their club. They lost their stadium under very strange circumstances and shared Dulwich Hamlets Dog Kennel Hill ground for a few years. They have always been dodgy. A Turkish drug dealing family called the Arif's have been involved with them for over thirty years. I hear they plan to become another restarted club and join whatever league will have them.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong Baldrick, but didn't Dogan Arrif used to run the Dun Cow on the Old Kent Road? - one of those strange boozers with no windows and painted black that you only see in SE or E London. They've always been a bit Del-Boy-  I know their old ground was mysteriously improved to meet Conf criteria during a 2 week period when no work was carried out on any London Borough of Southwark housing stock.

I also worked with a 'geezer' who was a cashier at East Dulwich Housing Office (Goose Green for your info Russ - just along from the EDT) who was sacked and jailed for nicking rent money - during which time he remained Treasurer of the Fish. Their social club always had a wide range of interesting goods for sale at knock down prices and that was even after the Docks had closed down. Happy Days...

baldrick

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 05:16:40 PM »

Yes Dogan Arif owned the now deceased Dun Cow but i think the licence was in someone elses name due to him not being able to get one. It was only a few months ago they were talking about building a new stadium at Burgess Park and there were rumours about a three year plan to get into the league.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 fish out of water