PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 fish out of water
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fish out of water  (Read 6447 times)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
fish out of water
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:41:14 PM »

this morning Fisher Athletic were wound up by the high court
for a while they were my local non league club. one day someone will write the story of fisher (complete with diagrams) to guide the uninitiated through the maze of moves and reformations and alleged corruption

markecky

Re: fish out of water
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »

Didn't we draw 0-0 with Fisher on a Tuesday in the 1991 in "that" season and have something like 25 corners?

Altyroo

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »

I think so. Wasnt it an FA Trophey match that went to 3 replays.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »

No..definitely in the league

Altyroo

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »

Correct. That silly FA Trophey run was in 1988. My apologies.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:24:18 PM »

I well recall that 0-0 Ecky, my dad took me and said 'don't worry about tonight son, it'll be 5-0 Alty at least', oh dear. We took 2 points off Fisher that year, they were utter crap as well, that (amongst other things) cost us dear. IIRC Barnet beat them 4-2 on the final day in May '91 to secure the title in that epic season.

As for the current (well now defunct) club, they played at Dulwich Hamlet FC, about 10 mins walk from my house in south London, I went when they played Hampton and Richmond in last years Conf South Play off Semi and there were at most 150 Fisher fans in the ground for a Play off Semi. They had no support at all to speak of, damm shame they never made it up though, would have been ridiculously convenient for me :D As for the 'alleged' corruption I heard all sorts, it goes back years though, they've always been run by 'geezers'.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »

Didn't we draw 0-0 with Fisher on a Tuesday in the 1991 in "that" season and have something like 25 corners?

It was the Tuesday between the two legs against Wycombe in the FA Trophy Semi Finals............it was a nightmare week.....apart from the fact that I became a Dad on the Friday.  ;D

I believe that it was 22 corners & Paul Bastock played a blinder in goal for Fisher......the course of the club's history may have been different if he had been in the sort of form that he showed for St. Albans against us two years ago.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »

Cheers Brian, thought so.

I'm not some sort of corner anorak by the way, it was mentioned in the mesenger report that sticks in my mind.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »

Gate of well over 2,000,for a midweek game, and no one from fisher, trophy semi final tickets went on sale that evening, which of course help with the crowd, they were being sold from the snack bar thats now flattened underneath the new part of the bar.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »

Gate of well over 2,000,for a midweek game, and no one from fisher, trophy semi final tickets went on sale that evening, which of course help with the crowd, they were being sold from the snack bar thats now flattened underneath the new part of the bar.

Hughesy,

I've just looked it up...

There were 2,250 at Moss Lane that evening.

Fisher's away support in those days used to consist solely of some barrow boy with a Ray Winstone accent who used to sit in the main stand at Moss Lane and yell "Caaaaaamm on the Fish!" at regular intervals.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »

Hughesy,

I've just looked it up...

There were 2,250 at Moss Lane that evening.

Fisher's away support in those days used to consist solely of some barrow boy with a Ray Winstone accent who used to sit in the main stand at Moss Lane and yell "Caaaaaamm on the Fish!" at regular intervals.

It might have actually been Ray Winstone............back then he was no superstar Hollywood actor
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »

It might have actually been Ray Winstone............back then he was no superstar Hollywood actor

are you mad???? its south of the river!!!!!

gunners11

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »

there are going to be no one left soon in non league football  .lets start merthyr, chester, darlington, boston, nuneaton, scarbrough, fisher, newcastle, it puts a shame on non league football when are the fa going to wake up and realise that teams play 46 games  like the big clubs in div 1 ,2 championship preimier league . it is always the little clubs what get pick on not the big ones with there millions of pounds splashing everywhere WHY NON LEAGUE BECAUSE WE ARE SMALLER CLUBS TRYING TO MAKE A GO OF IT AND  GET TO THE CONFERENCE AND THEN BANG IT HITS YOU LIKE A BRICK WALL I FEEL SORRY FOR NEWCASTLE BLUE STAR DEMOTED TWO DIVISION TO NORTHERN PREMIER  I AM SORRY SOMEONE  SHOULD TALK TO THE FA ABOUT THIS THIS IS NOT BLOODLY RIGHT         A VERY UPSET ALTY FAN  THANK YOU

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

Thank you too Gunners, I'll go to sleep tonight with a smile on my face.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »

I recall those three Fisher replays well, pre penalty days. Also I think Tommy Doc's first away as mgr was there and some Millwall boys gave him some jip at half time which he rebuffed very well.

For those who don't know Fisher started as a boxing club, and was run by a notorious South London Turkish gang, the Arifs. There were many rumours involving stuff that may not best be published on here.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 fish out of water