Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Its too quite!!! someone make a stupid comment or something lol!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Its too quite!!! someone make a stupid comment or something lol!!!  (Read 15242 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Its too quite!!! someone make a stupid comment or something lol!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »

but your version is a little array (is that how you spell it)

Computer programmers of the world unite.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

fuertes

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »

Ahh yes, but Cornwall is one of the six Celtic 'nations' with it's own language and culture and as such have more of a justification in thinking of themselves differently.

^ This ^

Cornish nationalism is a little archaic and odd (what with the vast majority of people unable to speak the language), but at least it isn't a misnomer. Yorkshire 'nationalism' is f**king pathetic. Imagine a country where one of the major financial and cultural centres has to be Hull!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »

You asking me out on a hot date in South Elmsall Frankie, ya smooth talkin b**tard?

I was actually referring to our FA Cup 1st round match there in 1983 when the locals (bolstered by an intellectual influx from Barnsley) were rather exuberant.

Police helmets flying in the crisp evening air, police horses charging up the slag heap, greetings with the forehead and a DIY air conditioning job on the coaches......famous South Yorkshire hospitality (taken in a rather different literal sense) is it?

Anyone for Frickley?

OK, when are we going?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

thegazelle

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »

indeed jim it must have been early 80's and not late seventies as indicated by the almost Alzeimheric redhill

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »

i was talking to a liverpool fan the other day and he said the worst he had ever seen was at barnsley during the miners strike. in my mind the frickley game was also during the strike but in fact must have just been before - i do know that it was a notoriously hardline area and there was loads of trouble during the strike.

the cornish thing is weird and i take the piss a lot. i just about get away with it as i have been going there 20 odd years. in some ways i envy their identity, most of the people i know would say they were cornish rather than english.
we went to see ian brown at eden one year and he asked if there was anyone from devon in the audience which produced a chant of dirty northern b###rds from the people i was with. then again i heard plymouth chant that at southampton last year, they must be the only ones who can!

York Alty

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:44 PM »

Frickley in the cup was during the miners strike.  lets avoid the politics of that for now - I always felt we were the filling in the fight between two sets of yobs, one called the striking miiners and one called the police.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »

I believe the Frickley game was in Nov 1983 and the miner's strike began in early 1984, but there was already unrest (not least over the Thatch's appointment of Ian MacGregor as head of the NCB...he had previously turned around the fortunes of British Steel, halving the work force in the space of two years). It's a minor point though and I'm having flashbacks to the blissful dreams I used to have of garrotting the mad bitch......oh dear, let's get off this subject quick.....

York Alty

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »

no no no - tell us more...especially "garrotting the mad bitch".  seems like heaven to me...

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

Gazelle- I woudl have to climb in my loft and look at my programmes - something I have been meaning to catalog for years.
If the Frickley Snowball incident was in the 80's it was very very early 80's.
I emigrated immediately after we lost to Burnley 6-1 and that was Jan 1982 so it wasnt 81/82 season. I also recall playing them around the first game of a season on a Sunny Aug Sat.
I recall seeing the incident also from a long distance - from the doorway of their club as me and Toothill were entering the ground after a half time pint. Toothill and me drove to the game in my car.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 12:21:16 AM »

Gazelle- I woudl have to climb in my loft and look at my programmes - something I have been meaning to catalog for years.
If the Frickley Snowball incident was in the 80's it was very very early 80's.I emigrated immediately after we lost to Burnley 6-1 and that was Jan 1982 so it wasnt 81/82 season. I also recall playing them around the first game of a season on a Sunny Aug Sat.
I recall seeing the incident also from a long distance - from the doorway of their club as me and Toothill were entering the ground after a half time pint. Toothill and me drove to the game in my car.

1981....around February.I think that we won 2-0.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

Games at Frickley in Winter (= November to February for South Yorkshire):

1977-78 NPL March-ish 1-1 Rogers
1980-81 APL Feb 2-0 Howard, Heathcote
1982-83 APLJan 0-3 - I caught (or first demonstrated symptoms) glandular fever at that game
1983-84 FAC Nov 1-0 Gardner
1983-84 APL Mar 1-3 Skeete
1986-87 FAC Nov 0-0
1986-87 APL Feb 2-2 Timmons 2

I've ignored early or late season games - for example my first two visits in 78-79 2-0 in League and 4-0 in league cup where Colin Darcy threatened the opposition goal with every kick from hand.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »

Games at Frickley in Winter (= November to February for South Yorkshire):

1977-78 NPL March-ish 1-1 Rogers
1980-81 APL Feb 2-0 Howard, Heathcote
1982-83 APLJan 0-3 - I caught (or first demonstrated symptoms) glandular fever at that game
1983-84 FAC Nov 1-0 Gardner
1983-84 APL Mar 1-3 Skeete
1986-87 FAC Nov 0-0
1986-87 APL Feb 2-2 Timmons 2

I've ignored early or late season games - for example my first two visits in 78-79 2-0 in League and 4-0 in league cup where Colin Darcy threatened the opposition goal with every kick from hand.

as glandular fever is commonly refered to as kissing disease could you enlighten us as to how an away day in frickley resulted in said disease.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

thegazelle

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »

was reading one of my books last night and it had awry twice in three pages i always thought that was pronounced or re

i assume you refer to spellcheque with your cryptic techno message this is a phenomemnumnum beyond my perception smash the loom smash the loom

thegazelle

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »

I cant believe that the incident happened immediately after half time as i would surely have been drinking the finest fizzy keg websters available in t club with you
it was a mid week night game if that helps (and very cold)being as there was snowballs i dont think it was the sunny season opener

Another close shave was arriving at frickley in the middle of the miners strike just before kick off . said tootill and i started chanting as we entered the ground unfortunately they were having a minutes silence for the first miner to be killed in the strike............... woops.

I t was alleged that said deceased digger of coal was the lad who was chased up the slag heap (wearing white jeans) by the police at the cup game.
one former chairman of afc supporters assoc who had a penchant for helping the strippers to close there performance was hearrd to comment very loudly "fancy having a minutes silence for a fecking football hoooligan" which did not endear him to the locals

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »

was reading one of my books last night and it had awry twice in three pages i always thought that was pronounced or re

i assume you refer to spellcheque with your cryptic techno message this is a phenomemnumnum beyond my perception smash the loom smash the loom

Oh, I'm afraid it's much worse than that. An array is a common construct used in computer programming that permits the programmer to store more than one value in a variable, whilst retaining a single reference. I can feel geek fighting to get back out of his box (for he would never have a chance of being in anyone else's box). "Get back in there you pastlife pest"

I think I'll stick to dreaming of ways to kill (and get away with it) the Thatch....on the subject of which, does anybody remember a rather quirky punk number by Burnley's finest The Notsensibles called "I'm in Love with Margaret Thatcher"? It came with the response they received from downing street to a copy of the single they sent to the Thatch as the lable (which was incidentally Snotty Snail records).

All together now:

"I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher, I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher,
I'm in love with Maggie T,
Oh Margaret Thatcher is so sexy, she's the girl for you and me,
I go red when she's on the telly,
Cos I think she fancies me.........."

Smash the Loon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Its too quite!!! someone make a stupid comment or something lol!!!