PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta is officially dead
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setanta is officially dead  (Read 7344 times)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »

The Premier League's just cancelled Setanta's contract for the coming season and The American tycoon, Len Blavatnik, has pulled out of a deal to save them (see below). I think that's just about it for Setanta and and Conference football on TV next season.

The American tycoon Len Blavatnik has pulled out of its deal to save Setanta

Sources close the deal have said that the deal faltered after Setanta lost the rights to the Premier League games and after it was revealed that Setanta owed HMRC around £50m

This is the statement from Access Industries, run by Len Blavatnik

"On 12th June Access Industries put forward a proposal to the Board of Setanta to acquire a majority interest in the Company. Access believed that this proposal could potenitally have secured the future of the broadcaster for its customers, employees and for football, provided certain conditions required to put the business on a long-term viable footing were met.

Regrettably, despite intensive efforts on all sides over the past few days, and despite significant progress in a number of areas, there remain a number of issues which we have been unable to resolve within the time available.We are disappointed not to have been able to make this deal happen. Access remains committed to sports programming  and will continue to explore opportunities in this area."
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Setanta is officially dead
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »

More fresh in from PA:

GAME LOOKS OVER FOR SETANTA
 By Kelly Macnamara, Press Association City Staff
 The future of troubled sports broadcaster Setanta was thrown into doubt today
as rescue negotiations failed and a key football contract was cancelled.
 A potential deal with US tycoon Len Blavatnik's Access Industries, thought to
be worth #20 million in return for a 51% stake in the broadcaster, collapsed
after "a number of issues" were not resolved in time, the investor said.
 The news comes as a further blow for Setanta, which today lost its licence to
broadcast 46 Premier League football matches next season after failing to meet
"certain contractual obligations".
 An Access Industries spokesman said: "Access believed that this proposal could
potentially have secured the future of the broadcaster for its customers,
employees and for football, provided certain conditions required to put the
business on a long-term viable footing were met.
 "Regrettably, despite intensive efforts on all sides over the past few days,
and despite significant progress in a number of areas, there remain a number of
issues which we have been unable to resolve within the time available."
 mfl
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:26:09 PM »

So it looks like we will be televised one game less than we were on last season. Unless we get a nice FA Cup run.
We could however have done with the anual payment. :(
Poor Luton will also lose out on TV money again. ;D

markecky

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »

£80,000 over a 40 week season...

£2,000 off the wage bill.

Its a disaster.

joe

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »

£80,000 over a 40 week season...

£2,000 off the wage bill.

Its a disaster.

Surely all clubs in our league will have the same problem though? There are that many players out there this summer looking for clubs that i'm sure we'll be able to get a few in late on once they realise after a couple of months of looking that not many clubs are chucking decent money about.

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 07:30:47 AM »

The AGM cup in 2010 could be interesting now with more entrants than ever. It is going to be a tough competition this time around.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »

I think there could be a silver lining to this.
OK, so we'll lose the £85000 that everyone gets, but Alty never really made much more than that from Setanta. The more fashionable clubs that are on the TV 7 or 8 times a season stand to lose a lot more than we do.
To put forward an alternative opinion, I reckon this could create more of a level playing field for us to compete on.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:03:46 AM »

Are some people on here having a little difficulty reading Ecky's post? £2,000 off the weekly wage bill takes us back to the wages of 3 years ago. If you think we can keep Young, Doughty, Denham and McGregor on that you're not looking closely enough.

bigcol

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:10:56 AM »

Erm if our turnover is one of the lowest in the league, then losing £80k will hurt us more as a %age than other teams. No?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »

Well, no.....

Teams with turnovers as small as ours will get hurt just as much, teams with bigger turnovers will lose a lot more TV money than us, as they tend to be on Setanta more than us, levelling things out.  Teams with bigger turnovers also normally have higher costs and rely on TV money  more than we do.
Just because they have higher turnovers doesn't mean they make more profit, there are plenty of bigger teams in this league in a worse financial state than us, they will be devastated by this news.
There may well be teams that go under because of this, but I would bet that Alty aren't one of them.
Obviously I would rather we all received the money, but this is the situation we are in, we need to look for positives.
I stand by what I said.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:30:07 AM by chesteralty »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 10:02:16 AM »

Are some people on here having a little difficulty reading Ecky's post? £2,000 off the weekly wage bill takes us back to the wages of 3 years ago. If you think we can keep Young, Doughty, Denham and McGregor on that you're not looking closely enough.

i imagine these players if they stay to play part time would struggle to get another club bar fleetwood who would pay the same even if they lost £100 per week , if setanta go under - ie knock on effect in bsp

markecky

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »

Well, no.....

Teams with turnovers as small as ours will get hurt just as much, teams with bigger turnovers will lose a lot more TV money than us, as they tend to be on Setanta more than us, levelling things out.  Teams with bigger turnovers also normally have higher costs and rely on TV money  more than we do.
Just because they have higher turnovers doesn't mean they make more profit, there are plenty of bigger teams in this league in a worse financial state than us, they will be devastated by this news.
There may well be teams that go under because of this, but I would bet that Alty aren't one of them.
Obviously I would rather we all received the money, but this is the situation we are in, we need to look for positives.
I stand by what I said.

Not a criticism of our board who have made their position clear, but quite a few other clubs will have directors who will just put in to make up the shortfall.

Still struggling to find a positive for a wage bill reduction of 20 odd percent, unless we can find another source of income.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 10:46:07 AM »

Well, no.....

I stand by what I said.

Not a criticism of our board who have made their position clear, but quite a few other clubs will have directors who will just put in to make up the shortfall.

Still struggling to find a positive for a wage bill reduction of 20 odd percent, unless we can find another source of income.

if they have already committed themselves to next season perhaps we can trust most will stay even if they have to take a wage cut ,

joe

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »

So do you reckon the above named players will now be released because they're big earners? I can't see it mate to be honest although it will definately affect any possible players coming in or not coming in as the case will probably be now.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »

As far as I can see, there are no positives whatsoever ! We potentially stand to lose £80k and some think there could be a 'silver lining'

So called bigger clubs will either borrow more money or their benefactors will put their hand a little deeper into their pockets.  There are other clubs who we know have no regard for debt either, it just means they will lose more money next season than they hoped for.

Believe me, this will impact the smaller clubs more than the bigger clubs, even though they featured on the telly much more. The only levelling of playing fields will be at rival clubs such as Barrow and Tamworth etc
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team