PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta is officially dead
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Setanta is officially dead  (Read 7345 times)

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Setanta is officially dead
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

A very strange way to look at it!!

I am sure clubs like Halifax, Boston ,Scarborough and others now have a very healthy regard for debt.
You really can't argue that going further into debt than they originally hoped is not a problem. All clubs have to keep an eye on their balance sheets, the ones that don't will at some point wish they had!!

flaggerN

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 11:25:53 PM »

There was talk about Setanta going towards the end of last season so maybe that might have been taken into consideration when the budget was set

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »

Just pointing out that to some clubs this will be a disaster, whereas to some others it will be an unfortunate loss. It will impact on each club differently.

As far as it being a strange way of looking at things, then I think the same thing when I read posts about this major loss of income having a silver lining
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:43:38 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »

'Just pointing out that to some clubs this will be a disaster, whereas to some others it will be an unfortunate loss. It will impact on each club differently.'

We agree on that!!
I might have been a little bit harsh last night, I don't want to fall out with anyone over this.
All I was trying to say is that this is the situation we are in, let's deal with it as best we can and try to make the best of it.
At least it sparked off an interesting debate!!

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »

Interesting comments from Conference independent chairman, Brian Lee, in thepress.co.uk - especially about the viewing figures being comparable with the SPL.

Lee still believes Conference games remain an “excellent marketable product”.

He said: “We may be considered to be a minor player in the demise of Setanta, but we know we have an excellent marketable product.

Recent viewing figures, which are comparable with the Scottish Premier League, clearly show that we have a competition which is of major interest to subscribers who hold the sport so dear to their heart in this country.

“It would be silly not to recognise the value of Premier League packages which became available following Setanta going into administration, but with the Blue Square Premier now consisting of numerous ex-Football League clubs and the cream of the non-League battling it out season after season we would like to think that we can, among the debris, find a new broadcaster who values what the ordinary supporter wants from the game nowadays.

“Whether there is any mileage still to be obtained through the administrators or whether we accept a new approach, we want broadcasters to know we are happy to talk.

“We were the first to embrace the model of innovations brought to our screens by Setanta with their unique approach to presenting and we are willing to continue such an approach, if a broadcaster is also willing to help the top end of the grass roots game.

“In global terms the financial deal we had with Setanta was not huge by modern day standards but it was a major lifeline to my member clubs”.

http://www.thepress.co.uk/sport/4460817.Blue_Square_football_league_issue_plea_on_TV_rights_deal/
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

brisbane_alty

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 01:59:42 AM »

I'm certain that a few months ago I read that the Blue Square Premier was getting HIGHER ratings than the Scottish Premier League on Setanta. However, in true Wikipedia style I'm unable to quote an official reference to that effect.

It's a bugger because I subscribed to Setanta Australia and used to enjoy seeing 15 to 20 seconds of Alty action each week.

fuertes

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 08:08:23 AM »

I'm certain that a few months ago I read that the Blue Square Premier was getting HIGHER ratings than the Scottish Premier League on Setanta. However, in true Wikipedia style I'm unable to quote an official reference to that effect.

It's a bugger because I subscribed to Setanta Australia and used to enjoy seeing 15 to 20 seconds of Alty action each week.

I'm pretty sure that the Conference Playoff Final 2008 got 500,000 viewers - that would suggest there is a decent market for Non-League. I'm not sure who will go for it, Five or somebody else that won't charge me to suscribe would be good.

Jenga

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »

When I purchased my season ticket last week, GH said that the only way we can balance our books now (if we can) is that we bring in 4 kids at best to provide us with cover.

If that means that the collapse of Setanta wont impact too heavily on us then I dont know what is.

However I can see what others are saying about the silver lining in some respect, but I would call it more of glint of light one hell of a long way in to a dark tunnel.

The reason being is that we have kept all of our first team, and Michael Welch is apparently signing for us but will be out of action until about October (meaning for the first time in many years we have a strong nucleus of a team who are used to playing with each other). Other teams we know are cutting their wage bills and now this will need to be cut further, some are down to a squad of 3 or 4 players meaning they are rebuilding.

However the upshot, whether it levels the playing field or not, is that ths is a disaster to the long term development of Alty, that has been going on over the last few years.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 09:49:33 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the Conference Playoff Final 2008 got 500,000 viewers - that would suggest there is a decent market for Non-League. I'm not sure who will go for it, Five or somebody else that won't charge me to suscribe would be good.

The latest copy of When Saturday Comes does indeed confirm that the Play-off final got more viewers for Setanta than the SPL title decider.  It also states that the viewing figures for our league were often similar to the SPL.  The key difference being Setanta paid £3m a year for our league and £25m for the SPL!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta is officially dead