PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Taxman says enough is enough - RIP Hyde United
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Taxman says enough is enough - RIP Hyde United  (Read 28733 times)

markecky

« on: September 24, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »

Looks like the HMRC have finally run out of patience with football clubs:

http://www.hydeunited.com/league/News/board230909.html

taxi Phil

Re: Taxman says enough is enough - RIP Hyde United
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:19:43 AM »

See the Accrington post. I count Hyde United as rivals of many year's standing, and I am truly saddened by their demise.

Aussie Bob

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »

Shame to see Hyde go...i would be very worried if i was a Vics fan ....looks like HMRC have got out the big stick and they arent afraid to use it

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:40:52 AM »

I really would be saddened if this was the case - Hyde are a proper non league club.  In the last two seasons of the Cheshire League when we were dominant we went to Hyde late in the season: in 66/7 we got stuffed 5-1 but still held on to win he title and in 67/8 we got beaten 6-2, lost 4 of our last 7 games and ended up second to Macc.

I only saw Alty at Ewen Fields twice - the first was in an NWFL match the Tuesday after the Leatherhead game - we got beat 1-0.  I had been to the ground four times previously that season only for the game to be postponed.  The second time was in the NPL Cup in 2003 - we won 1-0, Stuart Coburn made his second debut for the club and Niell Hardy scored a late winner in the second match of his second spell late in the game when the keeper fell over after a tame back pass / throw in from his own player.  I viewed that match as a true turning point with the return of Stuart and our long march back from Unibond oblivion to the spotlight of the Conference began that night.

Hyde United - a proper non league club

(I know this is macabre but are there any players we might want to rescue from oblivion)

Narcissist

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »

Lots of clubs names get mentioned on here related to their financial woes, but I never saw much mentioned about Hyde. What happened here?

Its a shame. They were one of the brighter away prospects in the unibond years. I always counted them as one of the big clubs in that league.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »

Sounds ominous for them.

Does anyone else remember watching Alty playing in an FA Trophy tie on the artificial pitch at Hyde back in December 1987?

Tommy Docherty was still Alty's manager at that stage and I seem to recall that a late penalty by Mike Farrelly rather unjustly allowed us to escape with 1-0 victory.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »

I think they went for broke a couple of years ago with money from a steel bloke from Sheffield?

Then he pulled out leaving them with contracts and bills...i think.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »

(I know this is macabre but are there any players we might want to rescue from oblivion)

The nomadic and portly figure of David McNiven is there, I believe.

Didn't he once turn down a move to Moss Lane?   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »

that bloke on gmr has been constantly wondering why hyde's attendances have been so poor in recent years.

this will be really sad if hyde go, a nice little club, proper non league ground with a good atmosphere.

when you look at the dodgy dealings of some clubs and think this is hyde's first offence....very harsh...is it because HMRC think no-one will care if hyde go?

best of luck hyde in rebuilding if you do go.

Graham

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:09:17 PM »

The nomadic and portly figure of David McNiven is there, I believe.

Didn't he once turn down a move to Moss Lane?  

that would make me laugh a strike force made up of Aaron Burns and David McNiven. I would worry for your future.....

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »

Sounds ominous for them.

Does anyone else remember watching Alty playing in an FA Trophy tie on the artificial pitch at Hyde back in December 1987?

Tommy Docherty was still Alty's manager at that stage and I seem to recall that a late penalty by Mike Farrelly rather unjustly allowed us to escape with 1-0 victory.

I remember that game very well - the penalty was won by ex-Hyde man John Timmons, I believe, which rubbed salt in the wounds. I was sat in the main stand in amongst the Hyde fans and I actually felt pretty sheepish at the end of the game, such had been Hyde's dominance (though some of that of course was down to them being more used to their peculiar playing surface than we were).

This is very sad news but if it's a sign that HMRC is going to take a harder line with football clubs who don't pay their tax bills (I'm presuming that's what's happened here), that's a welcome development.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:17:26 PM by Leon »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »

Very sad indeed.

It amazes me that Hyde have gone so quick whilst the likes of Northwich and Accrington seem to keep worming their way out of it.

Come on Alty!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »

i had fond memories of Hyde United from our Cheshire League days.Such a shame to see them going bust,when other teams get away with it
Harold

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »

Sounds ominous for them.

I don't quite remember that one (although I was probably there). My main memory of the plastic pitch at Ewan Fields is that we played there in the red and black chequered kit in an FA Trophy/GMAC Cup tie in 1898 ish. Think we won 5-4 or something daft, there was a helluva lot off goals anyway?

bigcol

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »

FA Trophy/GMAC Cup tie in 1898 ish.

You have one hell of a memory to go that far back ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team