PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Team
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Todays Team  (Read 62060 times)

markecky

Re: Todays Team
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »

When I suggested a player worth having a look at from Nantwich, my suggestion was dismissed as the gulf between BSP and Unibond was too great. Having said that, the difference between BSP and NW Counties is even greater and yet that is the step up that Heff has made! For the record, Matt Rhead (the player I made comment about) bagged a couple for Nantwich today away at Kings Lynn. It is all too easy to have the view that players can't make the move but there are still some good players who often miss out on achieving their true potential.

It's perhaps better to capture raw talent on the way up than rely on names who have a list of umpteen clubs on their CV on the way down...

He'll be on more money at Nantwich.

And I would not say that Heffernan has made the step up anywhere other than in his head.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »

If we look back 12 months virtually to the week and the fans feelings and reaction at Stevenage, there is time for some contemplation. Everyone on here would have taken a draw today in advance, but I agree its always galling to concede late.
I disagree with the late substitution, I saw no real reason for it. As someone said the time, well 30 secs, is added back anyway.
For general info, Thaker was on Grays Station last Saturday at 6pm getting a train into London, I understand to see some old Uni friends, although that may not mean much as I think he featured on Tuesday IIRC?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »

Thakers grandma had died on Thursday,so did not travel.

I agree with the general concenus about Heff, but you can't just blame him for only getting 1 point.At the end of the day we conceded a free kick in the 91st minute,and we didn't defend it. There could be numerous reasons why Denham was taken off......could had been close to being sent off,has been playing with a groin injury.

Quite happy with a point, and another positive defensive performance without Young. Good to see Welch back,but needs a couple more weeks before can be back in the full reckoning. Hopefully a fully fit Lawton back on Tuesday, and with Kearney back in natural position, we should be looking to win the midfield battle and 3 points.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »

If we look back 12 months virtually to the week and the fans feelings and reaction at Stevenage, there is time for some contemplation. Everyone on here would have taken a draw today in advance, but I agree its always galling to concede late.
Yep. The head says 'good result' the heart says 'we were robbed'.

I disagree with the late substitution, I saw no real reason for it. As someone said the time, well 30 secs, is added back anyway.
I think managers also see it as a way to break up the game. It gives the team defending a lead, or trying to hold on to the draw, time to catch a breath, regoup and organise themselves.
I'm not saying I think this works but I think there's more to it than time wasting.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »

The odd thing about yesterday is that nobody seemed too upset about the late equaliser. Disappointed yes but not absolutely gutted as we might have been in previous seasons. Perhaps that's because the loss of two points would have felt more crucial in previous seasons?

A very good team performance (with the exception, I'm afraid, of Heffernan who looked like he was day-dreaming and really let the side down), from which I'd like to single out Sean Densmore. It's been said on here that Sean is not a full-back but yesterday, up against a very dangerous winger in Mitchell Cole, he looked a very fine full-back indeed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:53:16 AM by Leon »

Longman

« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »

Heffernan was an absolute joke yesterday, to be honest he infuriated me and pretty much everyone else.

He came on and basically looked like he didn't want to be on the pitch, he was practically walking around, showing no effort whatsoever!  He gave the ball away stupendously easily in the corner which resulted in Stevenage gaining an attack, winning a free kick and then scoring!  Someone behind me said it looked like he was doing us a favour by playing and that's exactly what it looked like. 

It was interesting as I saw Densmore berating him after the game for his lack of effort, it shows that the players were annoyed at his attitude as well.

On the other hand a draw was a fair result as we were under the cosh for alot of the second half, we seemed tired and struggled to get hold of the ball, thought Kierney was our best player yesterday.

fuertes

« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »

I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment on exactly what Heff did. However...

He has that kind of languid style that certain other players also display. That isn't my cup of tea at the best of times, but certain players have enough talent for me to think, "well, he offers enough in terms of guile and skill for me to forgive him for that". However, Danyy Heffernan is not Dimitar Berbatov, he is Danny f**king Heffernan. I thought when he came on against Tamworth he did everything very slowly and lazily with very little effect.

I'll never jump on a player's back as long as he's giving his all. I never complained about Peyton, I could see Nicky Clee was trying hard when he wasn't playing well at the start of the season, Anthony Danylyk is a limited player but always runs his bollocks off, but Heffernan's lack of cotribution just isn't good enough in my opinion. Supposedly he looked decent in pre-season? It seems that one long range goal was enough to convince people he might be decent. Personally I have genuine doubts about his ability and work ethic, and he needs to really put in good shifts in his next few run-outs in order to change my mind.

By the way, another great effort by the lads to keep the board ticking with an unexpected point. A shame it couldn't be three, but they're doing enough to make us all proud of them this season, long may it continue.

taxi Phil

« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »

If he's trying to book his flight on Qantas, he's going a damn funny way about it !

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2009, 11:33:57 PM »

He gave the ball away stupendously easily in the corner which resulted in Stevenage gaining an attack, winning a free kick and then scoring!

He was tackled by two Stevenage players, that's not really "stupendously easily".

Playing devil's advocate I suppose I ought to say he does seem to have a very laid back, languid sort of style even when he is playing ok so I'm hoping it's more a case of that than anything.

I think this is true.

I'm getting a bit bored of these jumped up kids not taking a great chance that is playing for Altrincham.

Like Lee Hendley if Heffernan doesn't get his finger out he will disappear down the ladder and not be heard of again.

Why would you put in all the hard graft at NW Counties level and then just toss it off when your chance comes? It defies sense!

It does defy sense, you're right.

I know we can claim all sorts about footballers, but we should probably consider them to be rational beings. With this in mind I think the best explanation is that Heffernan was just a bit rubbish on Saturday and not deliberately not trying.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Longman

« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »

He gave the ball away stupendously easily in the corner which resulted in Stevenage gaining an attack, winning a free kick and then scoring!

He was tackled by two Stevenage players, that's not really "stupendously easily".

He made what can only be described as a "measly" effort to keep hold of the ball.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Team