PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In defence of Coburn
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: In defence of Coburn  (Read 6186 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
In defence of Coburn
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »

Whilst some might say it was a bad mistake for Gateshead's first goal, I would point out that it was firstly, a "rasping" shot, secondly, along the ground, and thirdly, near his feet, meaning he could neither palm it away easily or get into a position where he could easily catch it, and it is all too easy to spill such shots - goalkeeping nightmares are made of shots like that. At the end of the day, Stu has basically proven to me in recent times that he is still a class act at this level.

Another quick point. Graham said that some people need a reality check. Without a doubt he is right of course. There probably won't be too many times when Altrincham are tenth in the Conference at this stage of the season, and you should be making the most of it.   In my opinion/criticism  :)

Jenga

Re: In defence of Coburn
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »

10th we were third at one stage if not second.

10th is not acceptable.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:42:58 PM »

Rasping and swerving yes. not along the ground. He had his body behind it and it hit him in the midriff, as he hit the ground he spilled it.

I am sure he will admit it was his mistake. However these mistakes are fairly rare.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:07:08 PM »

was it a mistake - looked like it
should we change the keeper - deffo not stu is a class keeper

should be allowed to comment in the same way that you might say senior missed such and such a chance or so and so looked out of place, without it seeming like you want the player out of the squad etc
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:38:16 PM »

sack the lot of them 10th is not good enough.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »

This is what happens when complacencey sets in
ParkINson's red and white army

rick

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »

what i saw of it it was quite an awkward shot to hold the surface was wet and it was zipped right into him, on another day the defender may have got there first, keepers mistakes are nearlyalways punished by goals, in my eyes he makes up with the few mistakes he makes with alot of brilliant saves. 

Butty

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:02:52 PM »

Surely he can be allowed one mistake? The problem with keepers is that when they do make mistakes, it is obviously highlighted, whereas in midfield, a bad touch is not punished the same way

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »

Surely he can be allowed one mistake?

......especially in a game that we won!

Apart from being a good keeper he's a good leader from the back. The back four have confidence in him and he is constantly keeping them on their toes.

I don't think he needs defending. If he's fit I'd have thought he's almost an automatic choice for the manager.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »

Another quick point. Graham said that some people need a reality check. Without a doubt he is right of course.

Yes, what he said was correct, some people probably do need to be more realistic in their expectations and appreciate the difficult circumstances we're working under of late. The management team and players are doing brilliantly.

However, I would also argue that the issuing of a press statement to articulate this point, along with it's timing (straight after a dramatic win when everyone is buzzing) was a truly appalling piece of P.R. by the club.
Come on Alty!

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »

This is what happens when complacencey sets in

lol

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 12:26:12 AM »

Whilst some might say it was a bad mistake for Gateshead's first goal, I would point out that it was firstly, a "rasping" shot, secondly, along the ground, and thirdly, near his feet, meaning he could neither palm it away easily or get into a position where he could easily catch it, and it is all too easy to spill such shots - goalkeeping nightmares are made of shots like that. At the end of the day, Stu has basically proven to me in recent times that he is still a class act at this level.

Another quick point. Graham said that some people need a reality check. Without a doubt he is right of course. There probably won't be too many times when Altrincham are tenth in the Conference at this stage of the season, and you should be making the most of it.   In my opinion/criticism  :)

I'm sure that Stuart Coburn himself wouldn't deny that the first Gateshead goal was an error on his part.

However, I don't recall an instant outcry for his head from the Moss Lane faithful, so I'm not sure why you have to climb on your high horse and 'defend' him.

Only seven days previously, Coburn produced a fine late save at the Golf Road End to deny Tamworth.

I'm sure that he knows just how much he is appreciated at Moss Lane.

Even those other top quality Alty goalkeepers over the years such as Eales; Stepney; Connaughton and Wealands made the occasional blunder or two!

As regards Alty supporters, I find that the overwhelming majority of them that I know are intensely realistic about exactly where we are and how difficult it is for us to compete at this level and they have almost certainly been the most tolerant supporters in this league since we returned to it in 2005.

I have to agree with ALTY1981 in that I was also a little disappointed by Mister Flynn's press release in the wake of the Gateshead match.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 05:59:02 AM »

All i can say is its a good job we don't have Gary Spake in goal all the mistakes he made at Leeds years ago.
Harold

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »

However, I would also argue that the issuing of a press statement to articulate this point, along with it's timing (straight after a dramatic win when everyone is buzzing) was a truly appalling piece of P.R. by the club.

If it's going to be issued it would be better received as a "it's great we won but don't get giddy" rather than "well after another loss we think your hopes are too high". There'd be a massive backlash if this happened when we were all angry about a bad loss.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:43 AM »

Big Stu has got us out of the sh*t on numerous occassions already this season...

The main thing is we got 3 pts anyway so no damage done

Not really sure why it is being discussed

Cmon Alty
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 In defence of Coburn