PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 5 points over Xmas... Happy?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 5 points over Xmas... Happy?  (Read 8546 times)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 01, 2007, 05:30:18 PM »

i am, many said we were doomed two weeks ago and now with these 5 points were well and truly fighting for it, glad t see thommo make 70 mins today  was refreshing to see GH go with the two up front and nice to see we can cope with out col and joe relatively well.

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
Re: 5 points over Xmas... Happy?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 05:39:17 PM »

Very happy with the five points. It would have been nice to have put some distance between ourselves and the bottom four - but it's so tight down at the bottom of the league that Gray's aren't that far off. Just need to somehow string a bit of a winning streak to pull clear. Great point today at Halifax.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »

Nope not happy (enough). 2 homes v Bottom 8 sides and an away match v a bottom half side had to yield 6/7 points in our position, i.e. we're likely to struggle later in the season. Sorry but that's true, at least we didn't give 3 points away to anyone.

That said, I think you need to include the R&D game in the Xmas section. 8 points from the 4 games will leave me delighted, 6 will leave me ok but worried and 5 will not be good enough.

Bit harsh but without the abillity to win away from home these are the standards that we need to stay in this division. Where do the 3 away wins necessary come from?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »

Ballers,

Spot on about the continuing absence of an away win.

We surely cannot stay up whilst not winning an away match all season?

We have only picked up six points out of a possible 36 on our travels to date.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 07:05:50 PM »

im sorry did the season end today or somthing there are still planty of games left and this maybe a newsflash BUT WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY IN THE BOTTOM 4 ! ! ! !

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »

Err, has anyone said anything about the season ending now?

It's a valid point that surely we cannot rely solely on our home form to survive.

Went to Halifax today (bloody coldest place in the world...fact!) and I was really pleased with our performance. Thompson & McFadden looked really good, especially in the first half, our passing was good and we were unlucky to go in 1-1. 2nd half they controlled the game, but I think if we can continue this positive approach to away games (2 up front for 90% of the match), we must be able to pick up the odd win... hopefully :)

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »

If we bear R and D on Sat I will be happy with the last four games.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 08:43:23 PM »

Nope not happy (enough). 2 homes v Bottom 8 sides and an away match v a bottom half side had to yield 6/7 points in our position, i.e. we're likely to struggle later in the season. Sorry but that's true, at least we didn't give 3 points away to anyone.

That said, I think you need to include the R&D game in the Xmas section. 8 points from the 4 games will leave me delighted, 6 will leave me ok but worried and 5 will not be good enough.

Bit harsh but without the abillity to win away from home these are the standards that we need to stay in this division. Where do the 3 away wins necessary come from?

As impressive as the 3 points are against Vics (under the circumstances) and as impressive the point at Halifax is (& it sounds like we played very well), I was hoping for 6 points from the 3 games. Having said that, still a great couple of results either side of the draw and feeling very optimistic for the second half of the season.

Points versus Rushden vital, however!!!!!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:04:57 AM »

The Northwich game with 10  men sapped the players, they struggled against R&D, but responded twice.

GH has done well with tired legs and rotating a couple of players!

Many teams like Halifax have only picked up 1 point over xmas, we have a game in hand over the three below us.

5 points is good, but the pressure remains for Saturday, the lads have 1 extra day to recover, lets hope it is enough.

I agree we need to win a couple away, when we get Colin back and with Pat and Peter we have competition for places, this may lead to more goals, possibly leading to more points?

Well done today Alty.  :)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 01:14:58 AM »

Nope not happy (enough). 2 homes v Bottom 8 sides and an away match v a bottom half side had to yield 6/7 points in our position, i.e. we're likely to struggle later in the season.

Although Halifax are in the bottom half they are a decent home side, they have the fifth best home form in the league and before today they had won five out of their last six home games.

In light of this a point is no disgrace.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 02:18:38 AM »

Truth is we could have been beaten by both FGR and Halifax.............I was at both games and felt for long periods of both games it was 'backs to walls' stuff.
Two draws in the above games are a testimony to the determination of the Alty players and their 'never say die attitude'.

If were a HT fan today I would be gutted, because they really should have won with their possession, attacks on goal and their full time footballers. If I were one of the six FGR supporters who could be bothered to attend Moss Lane at the weekend, I would feel just the same ie how did we leave there with only a point !

Therefore, whilst 7 points would have been nice, 5 must been seen as a mild succes - I have to admit that I predicted a loss to HT, a draw with Vics and a comprehensive victory over FGR
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Silkyman23

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 07:16:20 AM »

I'm pretty happy with our 12 point Christmas.  ;D

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »

In my humble opinon I am very happy. IF we had beaten Vcis with 11 men then I would be disappointed with not beating FGR but the fact is we have small squad of players who ran their hearts out and have done in ALL 3 Xmas fixtures.

I know people get bored of hearing it but we are part time and when you are playing so many games so close to each other you must take that into account.

17.  altrincham 25 6 3 4 19 18 0 6 6 11 20 -8 27
18.  forest green rovers 26 5 3 6 18 22 0 8 4 13 18 -9 26
19.  cambridge united 25 3 2 8 14 20 4 3 5 10 13 -9 26
20.  crawley town 24 6 1 5 14 10 4 3 5 14 16 2 24
21.  rushden and diamonds 24 3 3 6 13 14 3 3 6 12 17 -6 24
22.  st albans city 25 3 2 7 16 25 3 3 7 21 27 -15 23
23.  tamworth 24 4 3 5 15 17 1 3 8 9 22 -15 21
24.  southport 25 2 3 7 12 16 2 5 6 12 22 -14 20

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:32:44 AM by gazwarrington »

louise1925

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 01:47:54 PM »

Totally agree. I thought we played our hearts out against Halifax yesterday and was extremely proud of our performance. It was obvious thta in the closing stages we were completely knackered, part time status and heavy pitch taking their toll. We must start beating average oppositon at home in order to stay up. Vital games v Rushden, Cambridge and Kiddy in the not too distant future. An away win at either Vics or Port would be a bonus, but it is the home games which will define our season. For the record, though Val Owen and Pat McFadden were excellent yesterday - well done to all the lads, just pleased when we battle (as at Kiddy), the score seems hardly important anymore. A great xmas so far and here's to three points v R&D this Saturday. Any news regarding the limpees yesterday (Bushell and Munroe)?
AltyBri

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 02:31:50 PM »

Agree with most people that 5 points from the last three games is ok - especially due to some of the circumstances - but the Rushen game will define whether we've had a good christmas period or not.
If we can get a win in that one, bearing in mind the way the other fixtures go that day, we might finally have a bit of daylight between us and the bottom four.

COME ON YOU SUPER ROBINS!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team