PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Frickley Athletic
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Frickley Athletic  (Read 19993 times)

ChrisVessey CUFC

Frickley Athletic
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:05 PM »

Should they dispose of Lincoln United tomorrow night, we'll have to travel there.

I remember an Alty fan telling me you've had some horrible trips there and their fans are a bit.... odd.

Anyone care to give me a heads up on what to expect? Will our 600+ fans be welcomed with open arms or will we be lynched by a load of weird urchins?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Frickley Athletic
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »

Even Margaret Thatcher would have pangs of conscience if she ever saw the state of Frickley.

I remember(in no particular order) a huge great slag heap, boarded up shops, drug addicts and back in 84 a hell of a lot of rioting.

I'd rather be going there than Mansfield though.

Enjoy!

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »

Despite Frickley being a hell of a lot closer for me, i'll be cheering on Lincoln Utd tomorrow  :o

joe

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »

The best way i can describe South Elmsall which is where Frickley are based is the film Billy Elliott. No ballet dancers but the area is very similar. Overturned cars,rows of houses boarded up with the odd one still being lived in etc.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »

Chris, you'll think that what people are saying is OTT but its really not.

You walk down streets and there is one house left and the rest are boarded up.  The window cleaner has an orbital sander..

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »

Theres loads of cortina estates on bricks on driveways with mangy one eyed alsatians growling at you from the back seat. The pub next to the station, the gun, got burnt down just before our last visit

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:48:30 AM »

Theres loads of cortina estates on bricks on driveways with mangy one eyed alsatians growling at you from the back seat. The pub next to the station, the gun, got burnt down just before our last visit

The Cortina's can only be found in the nicer areas.........they are usually Datsun Cherry's or Austin Allegro's.

I had the pleasure of working at nearby Askern Colliery and can tell you the town was ok (ish) before it's community was destroyed.
Suggest you go to a brass band concert instead, believe me Frickley Colliery Brass are rather good !
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:16:59 AM »

There may be a few idiots around for a big cup game, but the issues we had were related to the 1980's Coalminers' Strikes & are therefore unlikely to be repeated.

If the terraced houses are still there near the ground, then it is worth spending a few minutes to view one of the strangest & saddest sights in England......'Billy Elliott' meets 'Rita, Sue & Bob too".Ballers makes a very pertinent comment relating to Maggie Thatcher & I think if she was taken there & asked to reflect on the social  impact of her political actions of the late seventies & eighties she would probably say "Wibble!"

If you want to get a feel for the ground itself, then there are highlights of a couple of recent matches on the UniBond League website.

DAB @ ALTY

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »

I seem to remember going into their bar at one match & there were no carpets on the floor.
We were told that a couple of their players had nicked them but honestly it's right at the top
of my list for being the worst place ever to watch a football match,especially on a cold dark
winters afternoon.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »

Not forgetting the slagheap next to the ground that depicts what life on earth may be like after a nuclear bomb.

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 12:44:01 PM »

The window cleaner has an orbital sander.....

classic stuff!

Yeah I think the area will still be an '80s recession throwback I don't think the town are that bothered about the football......most of them are probably in sink estates elsewhere or in new towns.

it's been a few years so they may have bulldozed the lot and put up a retail park with a pizza hut and cinema complex with a load of housing assoc new builds...

I bet that big f**k off slagheap is still there though!....I remember a few coals flying at us from that direction and an army of scum emerging over the top like red indians in a film

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:53:55 PM »

Panic over, Lincoln United beat them on penalties in the replay!  ;D

safe95

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »

On the last visit to Frickley we visited what could loosely be described as a 'pub.' The reason for the incredibly long wait for the food that had been ordered suddenly became clear when the door to the bar burst open and the chef, clad in his whites and plainly bladdered to the skies, tottered in carrying two plates at a 45 degree angle with the gravy pouring over the sides like a brown Niagara. Happy days.

GB Alty

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »

harsh

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »

Ha ha 😂😂
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Frickley Athletic