PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Frickley Athletic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Frickley Athletic  (Read 19995 times)

bighairedmike

Re: Frickley Athletic
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »

Wasn't frickley the site of Nasha's infamous somersault over the advertising hoardings?

York Alty is back

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »

Was there not an incident during a match where the crowd witnessed a scab getting chased over the slag heap and battered?

Maybe there was artistic license in the story. It could have been the gazelle telling that one!

There were plenty of plod about who dished out beatings too, so though I vaguely recall some altercation on the brow of a slag heap who was and wasn't involved I have no idea.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:27 PM »

Was there not a lot of Barnsley there at our cup win?

Police horses careering over the slag heap, police going into the home end and suddenly their helmets flying in the air (the standard issue ones I hasten to add), our coach was bricked and the driver headbutted...not the safest I've ever felt, but I doubt very much it's like that now.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »

If the slag heap had been in front of the snack bar it wouldn't have stopped Tony Kelly.

Weren't Frickley rather good on the basis that all the community/miners unions or something contributed to their running and weren't they one of our fellow 3rd round non league sides in 86? Got beat by Rotherham I think

Ashley Alty

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 11:09:44 PM »

Fair play to him, I remember him standing with us (quite balanced with a snack in each hand) and joining in with the singing and shouting at officials etc.  However, have I got it wrong that some Alty fans had a bit of a chant at him and he got a bit upset and walked off?  Maybe I dreamed that bit?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 12:03:04 AM »

Fair play to him, I remember him standing with us (quite balanced with a snack in each hand) and joining in with the singing and shouting at officials etc.  However, have I got it wrong that some Alty fans had a bit of a chant at him and he got a bit upset and walked off?  Maybe I dreamed that bit?

I think you may have got Tony Sullivan and Tony Kelly confused. I can remember Tony Sullivan, who was pretty large himself, although not in Tony Kelly's category, singing along in the last game of the season in April 2003.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 01:15:16 AM »

If the slag heap had been in front of the snack bar it wouldn't have stopped Tony Kelly.

Weren't Frickley rather good on the basis that all the community/miners unions or something contributed to their running and weren't they one of our fellow 3rd round non league sides in 86? Got beat by Rotherham I think

There's even an appearance by that occasional Radio Robins commentator John Helm here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hUPs-JlkgY

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:16:52 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 07:29:55 AM »

Wasn't frickley the site of Nasha's infamous somersault over the advertising hoardings?
Indeed it was, still remains the funniest thing I've seen at a football match
Bernard Taylors barmy army

thegazelle

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

Was there not an incident during a match where the crowd witnessed a scab getting chased over the slag heap and battered?

Maybe there was artistic license in the story. It could have been the gazelle telling that one!

Artistic licence !!!!!!

there was the guy in white pants chased up the slag heap by a band of keystone cops at the infamous cup game he avoided capture to huge cheers from thebaying mob . when we went to the league game some time after it was rumoured said white panted man was the the first miner to be killed in the strike and a minutes silence was held for him before kick off . a certain ex chairman of the supporters assoc nearly caused a riot when he exclaimed in a rather loud bitter fueled voice "i cant believe they are having a minutes silence for a football hooligan" not the time or place for such opinions . i have many embelleshed over the years stories to tell of trips to frickley but def not one of my favourite venues . do believe the pub in the town was called chequers a scary scary place . is it just me or did it rain every time we went there apart from the time it snowed (another story)

GB Alty

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 07:35:40 PM »

A decent away, looking forward to it

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »

Should be a few decent aways next season,about the only silver lining in this massive black cloud we're in!!

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »

Just been on holiday to Iceland (not the shop before you start) and I knew the vast wilderness reminded me of somewhere  ;)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 08:27:47 PM »

I remember "Foxy" getting a slap from Frickley fans at Moss lane back in probably the late 70s or early 80s. One seriously unlucky bloke he was. Always in the wrong place, I suspect The Gazelle may confirm. Is the fine chap on here under a different name?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »

Should be a few decent aways next season,about the only silver lining in this massive black cloud we're in!!

Can see quite a few only doing away games next year. Especially if the prices are silly for home games. Watching ale house football made sort of vareable by four hours in a Peak District Ale house prematch. Only nine new grounds for me though unfortunately

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 09:34:52 PM »

Can see quite a few only doing away games next year. Especially if the prices are silly for home games. Watching ale house football made sort of vareable by four hours in a Peak District Ale house prematch. Only nine new grounds for me though unfortunately

The standard is going to be utter toilet. From a day out on the smash perspective probably Stourbridge, Buxton and Marine (Liverpool first) will stand out. At least it'll only be a tenner in at most of these places. The sheer indignity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Frickley Athletic