PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham Town Centre
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Altrincham Town Centre  (Read 20263 times)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham Town Centre
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 05:49:50 AM »

spent many a saturday morning in either Duncan and Fosters or spinks cafes with my mates.Later i worked for David Vincents for 5 years,both railway street and george street shops.I also remember them knocking down all the old buildings at the top end of george street.
Harold

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 08:12:29 AM »

Remember Stamford Hall, my brother-in-law played there with a band called the Sidewalkers, supporting the Hollies very early in their career. Remember the listening booths in White and Swales. I remember almost drowning in the pool next door, I had only just learned to swim and dived in at the deep end in error. My feet did not touch the bottom as I was only 10 at the time, some other kid rescued me for which I am eternally grateful.

By the way, anybody tried buying a non-chart CD recently, or a CD single in Altrincham. The only shop I now like is the music shop Dawsons.

By the way, all school uniform shops are horrendously expensive, we are a captive audience, think Tesco should be allowed to sell school uniforms also, but then again schools would not get such a big kickback; its all about ripoff Britain. I say that as a patriotic fellow as well.

Number 23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »

I remember the days of Swales record shop, Monkey Tree and that shop near Grafton Mall that sold all sorts of tat and gifty things and I remember The Red Balloon. I remember Ben's 50p store next to the post office - and I remember the post office. Even Walton's model shop appears to have shrunk!
And what was the name of the cafe in Grafton Mall? Was it the 'Pop In'? They sold packets of 5 ciggies which you could hide in the top pocket of a school blazer with a book of matches.

markecky

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 08:38:25 AM »

Cafe in Grafton Mall was the "Drop Inn".

Just near Studio 4, the worlds biggest wicker shop!  And along from Decor 8.....

Dougals Dad

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »

Has Taylor & Cross gone?

And what was that Pharmacy on Stamford New Road?

Does anyone remember the old bus station, one of those good old fashioned ones where the buses run over pedestrians when reversing! I don't remember the old bus station smelling of pish (as we call it up here). Although I believe it was the first in the country, the bus rail interchange is a smelly mess that destroyed the frontage of the railway station.

I have old photos of Alty in the downstairs bog (J's mum wouldn't allow them anywhere else!) from the early 20th century which shows so many of the old buildings and George Heslop!

Indeed I do remember it  JD.  there was a Cafe on the corner called the Acropolis if I am not mistaken where spotty oiks like myself used to hang around. The swimming baths a bit further up next to the Stamford Hall.  The axe and cleaver pub was one of the better pubs in town. There was a boutique called Adam west's who sold modern clothes such as Bell bottom trousers ::) ... You could buy a bespoke suit from Hepworths and get your cooked meats from Vincents near the Downs.

I also moved from Alty back in 69 when I joined up but got back as often as possible to watch Alty (and see the folks)...

Sadly Alty has changed totally since those days of Stanleys Market and loads of good shops such as Ray Browns electrical shop, Whites & Swales, Woolies and the Co-op .. The offices of the Guardian newspaper in George Street. and the old electric trains taking you to Oxford Rd.

Market Dave singing and dancing in the market.

I now live in Shrewsbury, but my memories of Alty are still vivid.

If I am not mistaken I went to Bradbury Sec Modern with one Harold Smith !! :D

All that and seeing Jackie Swindells do his stuff on a Saturday.

Happy days and memories of bygone years..

Cmon Alty

My Dad also went to Bradbury - as a teacher (but he was known as Mr Smith & not Jennifer's Grandad!)One of the problems is the independent shop cannot compete with the chains and the chains will go to where the customers are i.e. Trafford Centre

I remember Mr Smith (Geography teacher if I am not mistaken).  The guy was very accurate when aiming a blackboard eraser at you at the back of the classroom if I am not mistaken  ;) :D When we were 16 he used to let us have a ciggy in the classroom

Sounds like my dad except for the ciggy bit! Did he ever ask you to go to anoyther teacher to ask for a long stand?

Dougals Dad

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »

Has Taylor & Cross gone?

And what was that Pharmacy on Stamford New Road?

Does anyone remember the old bus station, one of those good old fashioned ones where the buses run over pedestrians when reversing! I don't remember the old bus station smelling of pish (as we call it up here). Although I believe it was the first in the country, the bus rail interchange is a smelly mess that destroyed the frontage of the railway station.

I have old photos of Alty in the downstairs bog (J's mum wouldn't allow them anywhere else!) from the early 20th century which shows so many of the old buildings and George Heslop!

Taylor and Cross is still there. Still the only place you can get various school uniforms from and it is still bloody expensive too! Agree altrincham has gone downhill but the model shop only seems smaller JD because when yu were last buying toys you were a hell of a lot smaller!

D'oh!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »

Good to hear of a few Bradbury old boys. My old fella Mr. Thomas (PE and tech drawing) used to teach there. Think he started in the 60's.

thegazelle

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »

There was also a  mothercare at the acropolis cafe end of town, that sold some toys. there is at least one person who comes on here that was involved in the great subbuteo team robbery of 73 when an awful lot of dinky cars went missing as well. well if you will leave a gang of schoolboys on their own for 30 minutes.
My gran who lived off deansgate lane used to do her thursday big shop in broadheath, there was no need to go to the big town imagine that you would only beable to get a kebab or fishing tackle these days. Talking of fishing, Dixons on regent road now that was a shop. Stanley market ,Sowerbutts with that till, London Jim used to live in the record shop name escapes me or was that called the pop inn as well, opposite the the Park,Wards the green grocers. next door to Johnsons the green grocer, Croppers may have been a love connection for a board member there. Witherspoons will always be a light shop in my eyes.

ramble over someone just walked in and reminded me i am nearly 50 it all seems like yesterdqay

Jenga

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 12:17:21 PM »

WIMPY - spent many an afternoon in there with my mum and dad. It was the place to go before McDonalds was even invented.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »

WIMPY - spent many an afternoon in there with my mum and dad. It was the place to go before McDonalds was even invented.

Wow, Wimpy. I remember that. Was is next to or very near WH Smiths? They used to serve the food on plates with real knives and forks. Oh and the food was good, not like the Wimpy no on the services  >:( >:(

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »

Good to hear of a few Bradbury old boys. My old fella Mr. Thomas (PE and tech drawing) used to teach there. Think he started in the 60's.

Remember him well - When we did a cross country run the route went past my front door and I use to hang back so I could nip in for a drink on the way round  ;)

Give him my regards
Ray

Jenga

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 12:31:53 PM »

Wow, Wimpy. I remember that. Was is next to or very near WH Smiths? They used to serve the food on plates with real knives and forks. Oh and the food was good, not like the Wimpy no on the services  >:( >:(

Yes, as you look at WH Smiths it was a few shops down to the left of it. It was great real food.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »

My memories are more of Sale where I grew up but I remember the old Alty bus station and recall the noise and business scared me as a kid. Also the railway crossing gates with the magnetic locks that activated when the train came, didn't the road go through once with an old proper level crossing with manual gates?

There was a shop at the bottom of School Rd in Sale opposite The Bulls Head that sold nothing but barbequed chickens.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »

Remember Stamford Hall, my brother-in-law played there with a band called the Sidewalkers, supporting the Hollies very early in their career. Remember the listening booths in White and Swales. I remember almost drowning in the pool next door, I had only just learned to swim and dived in at the deep end in error. My feet did not touch the bottom as I was only 10 at the time, some other kid rescued me for which I am eternally grateful.

By the way, anybody tried buying a non-chart CD recently, or a CD single in Altrincham. The only shop I now like is the music shop Dawsons.

By the way, all school uniform shops are horrendously expensive, we are a captive audience, think Tesco should be allowed to sell school uniforms also, but then again schools would not get such a big kickback; its all about ripoff Britain. I say that as a patriotic fellow as well.

Schools are not allowed to get kickbacks from uniform sellers, you're right they should be available at tesco etc, often schools get round this by allowing the badge to be bought and sewn onto plain jumpers etc.  Problem with that is that these kids are immediatly noticable.  Its a disgrace often used by some very middle class schools to discourage lesser earners to apply for places at their school.  Thing is whats wrong with 2nd hand? I wore my brothers blazer and he got it from my cousin. People are so hung up on having new.
In general the heart has gone out of alty but the football club was never really part of it.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Dougals Dad

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

My memories are more of Sale where I grew up but I remember the old Alty bus station and recall the noise and business scared me as a kid. Also the railway crossing gates with the magnetic locks that activated when the train came, didn't the road go through once with an old proper level crossing with manual gates?

There was a shop at the bottom of School Rd in Sale opposite The Bulls Head that sold nothing but barbequed chickens.

Stockport road used to go through the crossing before they built the flyover. I remember that all bridges in Alty had a bend in them too!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham Town Centre