News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 You will like this

Author Topic: You will like this  (Read 2736 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
You will like this
« on: January 02, 2007, 10:21:47 AM »

Northwich hospitality (!) Rant
Old Man  Tue 2-Jan-2007 09:43:10
authenticated user: OLD MAN (id=1555)
[ views 69 ]
[ Message 646160, follow-up to none ]

So, there we were, dropped off into a crappy car park (unmetalled) and directed by one of the stewards to the front of the ground (which I must admit, looked pretty impressive) to the club bar.

Two of us led the way and entered the clubhouse. What a wonderful lounge, light, airy, warm (it was bloody freezing outside, blowing a gale and throwing it down). TV was on showing the Liverpool match. "Eh, up" said I, "this looks the dogs bo**ocks, doesn't it??". "Too true" said my companion "really impressive".

Looking outside I saw most of the coachload standing around looking miserable. Why??? The answer was soon to be realised. A hulk appeared, dressed in one of those huge "look I'm a steward, HGV driver, policeman, navvy" dayglo jacket. "There's two Southport supporters just come in - can you leave". Not felt so humiliated since I stood in front of old McKintyre the head, all those years ago.

With our tails between our legs my companion and I walked to the door and followed this **** out. Off he marched and we turned to join the throng. "Hold on" I thought, "We were guided to this clubhouse by one of his compatriots - I'm going to have a chat". I caught up with hulk and proceeded to notify him in no uncertain way that we had been told where the clubhouse was. On reflection that perhaps was where the misunderstanding lay and consequently it was our fault - we didn't ask where the bar for the AWAY supporters was. WHICH CLUB HAS AN AWAY BAR, FFS?? (besides Buxton).

Anyway, with jollity still in our hearts we wandered towards the Away Bar and having paid entrance were guided to the bar. (Please, everyone who is still with me, remember that it is still blowing a gale, its pi**ing down and bloody freezing).

The "bar" was included in a little overhang underneath the stadium, chips were frying but there was no ventilation, consequently you had the choice of dying through the fumes or going outside. The girls on the till couln't count for toffee and the beer was off. There were no seats, TV or nice surroundings. To escape from the fumes most of us stood outside whereupon we were battered by wind, rain and generally froze to bloody death. We couldn't all get into the food/beer dispatch area anyway, it was way too small.

One of the enjoyable things about non-League football is the chance to mix with the opposing supporters in the surroundings of their clubhouse prior to a match - to exchange stories and match facts. It helps build better understanding, helps perpetuate the "family" tradition of non-League and reduces the amount of aggro that is seen at League matches. Coupled with the fact that it tends to consolidate the "we're all in this together" feeling. Non-League by its togetherness expands the desire to watch your team away from home, but not at Northwich.

Personally, I'm totally disgusted at the way we were treated yesterday. For a day which cost me personally around £30 I was treated like utter sh*t and so were the others. Irrespective of age or infirmity on the coldest, wettest and windiest day of the year (yes, I know its New Year, you know what I mean) we were treated no better than cattle.

I for one will not be going to Northwich again - I like to be treated with a certain amount of respect (and admiration for supporting a crap team like Southport currently is :)) but I'm afraid its not going to happen at Northwich.

[edited by Old Man Tue Jan 2 09:45:11 2007]

@AltyDaz

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: You will like this
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:37:42 PM »

Hope it is better when we go there?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: You will like this
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 12:41:41 PM »

A Southport fan moaning .... whatever next  ;)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 You will like this