Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How do you rate the stewarding at moss lane?

Poll

Good
- 21 (67.7%)
Average
- 9 (29%)
Could improve
- 1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 05, 2007, 11:00:54 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you rate the stewarding at moss lane?  (Read 11825 times)

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: How do you rate the stewarding at moss lane?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 07:51:51 PM »

I presume you'll be taking in 'The Famous Bridge" after the game ? What a Place... Infact its THE PLACE !

I have a duet booked in with Market Dave on the Karaoke.

"I Got You Babe".

:D

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 10:29:18 PM »

Rubbish! ;D

Only joking. I don't know how many men are on the car park during games but that would be my only real area of concern with various dubious characters going through there during games on occasions.

The stewards man the entrance to the car park before every game to ensure those who have reserved parking get there space once all on the list are in we leave it alone but do patrols at regular intervals because we have had a few break ins on some matchdays.
@AltyDaz

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 12:00:45 AM »

I have a duet booked in with Market Dave on the Karaoke.

"I Got You Babe".

:D

waste of time!

baldrick

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »

It is not necessary to segregate the usual 50ish good natured away fans. I have often enjoyed chatting with them in the pub before games and see no reason why this should not continue in the stadium. Weymouth is a perfect example of how a game should be. Segregation is only needed when there is a real chance of people causing problems. These are usually ex league clubs who are likely to bring several hundred fans. In that case it would be impossible to enforce segregation as a handful of stewards would not be capable of doing it. Do we really want to be like a league club with police causing long delays while they search ten year olds for knives. Segregation should only be used when needed. It should not become the norm.

markecky

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 11:14:29 AM »

So whats your plan then Baldrick when it goes wrong? 

Lets use Crawley as an example.  They only take about 50 away from home, however they do have a group of about 10 "lads" who enjoy a bit of a scrap now and then.

We don't segregate as they are only bringing 50 and there is trouble, a few families are caught up in it, an old chap who has been coming for years gets knocked over.  You get the picture.

The cries on here would be "why wasn't it segregated", "why didn't the stewards do x or Y".

We are in a big league now, this is not the Unibond where the 4 Vauxhall fans wouldn't dare say anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for chatting in the bar before hand and the like but why tempt problems?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 11:18:22 AM »

It is not necessary to segregate the usual 50ish good natured away fans. I have often enjoyed chatting with them in the pub before games and see no reason why this should not continue in the stadium. Weymouth is a perfect example of how a game should be. Segregation is only needed when there is a real chance of people causing problems. These are usually ex league clubs who are likely to bring several hundred fans. In that case it would be impossible to enforce segregation as a handful of stewards would not be capable of doing it. Do we really want to be like a league club with police causing long delays while they search ten year olds for knives. Segregation should only be used when needed. It should not become the norm.

I don't necessarily think that segregation should be interpreted as some sort of heavy handed approach.  I'm all for a friendly atmosphere, and visiting fans should always be welcome in the bar, but we need to be a professionally run club.

I don't see how our segregation policy has caused long delays, and I'd like to know how many kids have been searched for knives... ;)  Has segregation and alert stewarding at Alty really wrecked the atmosphere?  I don't think so.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »

The arguement of delays in a non starter. Nearly ALL games we go to are segregated and I have never been stood outside for ages, and I bet I'm the only one that gets searched but thats because I take a bag in (and fair enough)

The fact it is segregation STOPS any needs for major searches as fans are kept apart anyway.

I say ALL games should be segregated. Better to be safe than sorry and as has already been said we in the top flight of non league football and not the Unibond. Anyone can speak to the fans before the game in a pub if they want (as you do) but why would you want \ needs to stand next to or speak to opposing fans DURING a game ? Before and After probably fair enough but during seems a little odd.

FGR brought 12 fans and they managed to exchange words after the game in the bar, who says that couldn't have happened during the match ? Maybe at half time when we swapped ends for instance ?

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 11:31:46 AM »

If anything it adds to the atmosphere! cant see many clubs left in this league where there isn’t potential for something to go wrong, St Albans, Weymuff, Gravesend and maybe one or two more. As long as we allow away supporters into the bar and treat them with respect we are being as friendly as we can in this league.

Jezza

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 11:42:24 AM »

Don't get me wrong...I said when there is clearly no need for it...I didn't lay down a criteria of only 50 crawley fans. If there is any doubt then segregate and i know this will apply to nearly all conference matches but I'd like to think Alty do whatever we can to be seen as a sensible professional club and we have a succesful record in this regard....obviously leave FGR fans in the rain even if there's only 20 of them though.

baldrick

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 12:44:13 PM »

How can you let away fans in the bar, drink with them, chat with them then tell them they are not welcome to stand under cover and they must go and stand in the rain. Altrincham is not equipped to deal with trouble. If fans wanted to cause problems they could easily do it with or without segregation.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 01:02:43 PM »

How can you let away fans in the bar, drink with them, chat with them then tell them they are not welcome to stand under cover and they must go and stand in the rain. Altrincham is not equipped to deal with trouble. If fans wanted to cause problems they could easily do it with or without segregation.

Because that's the way it happens everywhere else. How many times have we've gone places, been allowed to have drinks etc, but then had to be segregated? So what?? Every club in this league has segregation (as far as I know). Everyone accepts it - no opposing fan would be immature enough to say "they let me drink with them, but they won't let me stand with them" and cause a fuss. Why? 1. because that's just the way things are, 2. the majority of fans are mature enough to see why there's segregation and not get upset about it.

if the opposing fans want to cause trouble, I'm sure it's a lot easier for the stewards to deal with it if they're contained as opposed to all hell breaking loose amongst both sets of fans.

I honestly can't see the point you're trying to make.

markecky

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 02:20:58 PM »

Judging by the amount of sniping you're doing on here Baldrick, I'd suggest that in the event of your "all fans together in lovely cuddly non league world" love-in going tits up, you'd be on here at 5:04 asking "Where were the Stewards?"

baldrick

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »

My point is the stewards would not have a clue how to deal with serious crowd trouble. Altrincham fans have never been troublemakers and the club is not a target for opposing fans. I don't see why people on here are worried about this. If any of you have ever watched England away you will know that most of the trouble has been at games where foreign police have herded us together instead of letting us wander around freely. Segregation creates a pack mentality.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »

All I can say to that is... naive  ::)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »

My point is the stewards would not have a clue how to deal with serious crowd trouble. Altrincham fans have never been troublemakers and the club is not a target for opposing fans. I don't see why people on here are worried about this. If any of you have ever watched England away you will know that most of the trouble has been at games where foreign police have herded us together instead of letting us wander around freely. Segregation creates a pack mentality.

I do not believe that segregation creates a pack mentality.  Where I have seen trouble at Alty matches (home and away) its been when the fans haven't been kept apart.  It only takes one person to start a fight, regardless of the numbers.  

You cannot compare hundreds or maybe thousands of England fans "herded together" with a couple of hundred people directed to a certain part of a ground at a Conference match.  The two are totally different things.  If the two are similar, there would be countless problems at matches up and down the country, as has happened with England fans abroad...

And there is a big difference between having a pre match drink in an enclosed space to the emotions of a match where you have a terrace to let off steam and quite possibly judgment affected by the alcohol which has come from that pre match drink.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team