PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barrow match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Barrow match thread  (Read 15541 times)

fuertes

Re: Barrow match thread
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »

Territorially Barrow were much the better side, though most of the shots they ballooned high and wide might be called half-chances at best. It's not like they were carving us open and missing guilt-edged opportunities.

I actually think that looking over the game as a whole we created fewer, but better, opportunities. I'm thinking McAliskey first-half where his right foot shot was blocked then he took a dreadful left-foot swipe. Doughty's free-kick in a really dangerous position put over the bar. Senior's second-half opportunity where he did brilliantly to fashion the chance by cutting in from the left, only to smash it straight at the keeper, and McAliskey's poke towards goal from a right-wing cross.

A couple of players did well, Smithy looked good. He sprang well to win most high balls and also displayed great touch in wet conditions. I thought Nicky Clee looked really dangerous when he came on. That incisive run then 20-yard shot that went just wide was really unlucky. Was he carrying a knock/bit tired? I'd have thought he's well worth a starting place the way he's playing at the minute. Danylyk also did a lot of dirty work very efficiently, plus nearly scored from 50 yards in the first-half!

I thought that all things considered a draw would have been fair, though you can't moan too much about the result. Barrow looked to have more pace and seemed able to get it out wide often enough to cause us problems. The goal was a decent strike, but I thought Robbie Williams should have closed Nelthorpe down earlier.

Onwards and upwards, 6 points from the next two games and this doesn't look like the end of the world. We've already done Histon this season, and that at our bogey ground - Moss Lane  ::) We're well capable of getting a result there.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2009, 08:45:54 AM »

We were truly dreadful.

Densmore is NOT a full back!! How may times have we seen him get skimmed this season? Get Smith at full back with Williams and Young in the centre.

As for our midfield.... What midfield? Danylyck is dreadful. I know he tries but he spent most of the game playing catch up. Kearney was absent too. That leaves Denham who, as usual, was our most dangerous player. Senior is not a winger, bless him, and I don't know how he managed to cock up that gilt-edged chance in the 2nd half (set up wonderfully by Little).

McAlisky... maybe give him more time to get to know the players, but he was awful. I did hear the crowd having a go at him when his flick on's weren't reaching an Alty player, but shirley, that's Little/Senior's fault for not realising that that is what he's there for; to flick the ball on to the midgets up front??

As soon as Denham went off, we lost all shape and never looked like scoring.

Bless the Swindon fans for showing up though :)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »

Well... I have to say that was an inept and yet again another lacklustre home performance from Alty last night..
The night started bad for me being stuck in the fkn Old Trafford queue from the M6 to the Swan tfc lights.

Cold wet and windy conditions greeted us when we eventually got to the ground..

After watching them play so well at Tamworth last week I though maybe GH would have played Densmore at right midfield rather than fullback.. It seems pretty obvious to me that Densmore isnt happy playing right back. ..
 I am now of the opinion that playing at home induces a mental block into the players as they are a totally differently team when they are on the road..

Yet again the wingers were given far too much room by the Alty defence and had Rutherford  had any sort of finishing talent the game would have been put to bed by half time..

Mcaliskey huffed and puffed and did his best, I reckon that his lack of pace will need addressing if he wants to succeed in the BSP.  he also always seems to be on the back foot rather than his toes when situations occur around him...

i still think that if we can sort out the home form then we are capable of clawing our way back up in the table but they need to do it NOW..

My Alty man of the match .... Smithy closely followed by Danylyk who impresses me the more I see him..

Lets go and sort out the Head tennis fiends of Histon out on Saturday

Cmon Alty.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:24:17 AM by distancetraveller »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2009, 08:55:39 AM »

We were truly dreadful.

Densmore is NOT a full back!! How may times have we seen him get skimmed this season? Get Smith at full back with Williams and Young in the centre.

As for our midfield.... What midfield? Danylyck is dreadful. I know he tries but he spent most of the game playing catch up. Kearney was absent too. That leaves Denham who, as usual, was our most dangerous player. Senior is not a winger, bless him, and I don't know how he managed to cock up that gilt-edged chance in the 2nd half (set up wonderfully by Little).

McAlisky... maybe give him more time to get to know the players, but he was awful. I did hear the crowd having a go at him when his flick on's weren't reaching an Alty player, but shirley, that's Little/Senior's fault for not realising that that is what he's there for; to flick the ball on to the midgets up front??

As soon as Denham went off, we lost all shape and never looked like scoring.

Bless the Swindon fans for showing up though :)

Cant believe you dont rate Ant Danylyk

Stockportalty

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »

The boo-ing that was heard was the Barrow fans having a go at one of their own players who was winding them up as they were leaving the ground.
I think it could have gone either way, the first goal scored would win it, neither team seemed to be able to shoot straight at times.

jimbo

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2009, 10:23:55 AM »

peoples oppinions seem to differ alot straight after matches so iv decided to let it settle till the next day before posting from now on.?firstly the 1st half was a very open game in which we had the better of ,especially on chanches created.yes barrow had lots of shots but you would be happy with a team shooting from the distance they were.cobes wasnt troubled.we had some great opportunities but lacked the composure to play the killer pass or shoot on goal.still think only col has that ability to play them passes consisently.2nd half think they looked more dangerous and more likely to score,but we still looked likely aswell.but if we won 1 nil it wouldnt of lucky it really could of gone either way as in most of are matches even the ones we win?.as for positions surely gh knows his players best he trains with them 2 times a week.smithy is our best centre back for me so dens plays right back.denham must play right wing.so the other side is wat can be tinkered with.not sure col is most effective on left but he keeps making chances for others from deeper but then isnt there to finish them off ?catch 22.crissy senior is doin a fine job but is never goin to be prolific..the big guy is something different which helps.any way suer some will disagree but heres to 3 points at histon.

fuertes

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »

peoples oppinions seem to differ alot straight after matches so iv decided to let it settle till the next day before posting from now on.?firstly the 1st half was a very open game in which we had the better of ,especially on chanches created.yes barrow had lots of shots but you would be happy with a team shooting from the distance they were.cobes wasnt troubled.we had some great opportunities but lacked the composure to play the killer pass or shoot on goal.still think only col has that ability to play them passes consisently.2nd half think they looked more dangerous and more likely to score,but we still looked likely aswell.but if we won 1 nil it wouldnt of lucky it really could of gone either way as in most of are matches even the ones we win?.as for positions surely gh knows his players best he trains with them 2 times a week.smithy is our best centre back for me so dens plays right back.denham must play right wing.so the other side is wat can be tinkered with.not sure col is most effective on left but he keeps making chances for others from deeper but then isnt there to finish them off ?catch 22.crissy senior is doin a fine job but is never goin to be prolific..the big guy is something different which helps.any way suer some will disagree but heres to 3 points at histon.

Agree with most of that, although I like 3-5-2 with Densmore and Doughty as wing-backs. One of the few times Shaun looked really good at RB was against Chester. Why? Because the vast majority of the time we were on the front foot, effectively meaning he was playing as a wing-back.

I don't want to go into some hugely detailed and frankly boring tactical assessment of our team, but I just think it's worth mentioning this. Densmore's main weakness as a full-back, IMO, is that when a winger stands Shaun still, then produces a burst of speed to go past him, Shaun lacks the acceleration to keep up with him for the first few yards. He often, as was the case last night, has to resort to last ditch slides in order to try cutting the cross out. Sometimes this isn't enough, other times the winger checks back and Shaun is on his arse. If a centre-half has to come out to meet the winger, we're left very vulnerable in the middle.

In a 3-5-2, Shaun can try to go tight in order to get the challenge in early and burst forward, something he cannot do in a 4-4-2 because it would leave us horribly exposed if he missed the challenge. If he did miss the challenge in a 3-5-2, the right of the three centre-halves moves out to the flank, Doughty as left wing-back tucks in, so we still have three defensive players in the box as well as a man meeting the opposition winger.

Sorry to bleat on, but I just really think it's our best system. Perhaps GH wanted to go for that line-up last night, but Youngy couldn't take his place in the side so he decided against it (any news on why he didn't play?).

It's important to remember we're still having a great season.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »

The sponsors' award of Man Of The Match to Densmore only suggests that they overindulged on the pre-match hospitality.

Barrow's left winger, Rutherford, gave him a truly torrid evening.

The better side won.

We were ragged and lacked cohesion and shape.

However, Senior did miss a glorious chance, shooting straight at the goalkeeper when a placed shot either side of him would surely have done the trick.

Kearney uncharacteristically poor by his standards.
Little very poor.
Not excited about McAliskey, I'm afraid.

Credit to Coburn for some good handling and saves in atrocious conditions.

very true

jimmyhank

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »

We should just wear our away kit for games at Moss Lane!

I don't think we can argue about getting turned over last night. There were some positives though: I thought Coburn had a good game, Danylyk put in a good shift and Smith impresses game after game. It's still a good season and if we can get three points at Histon and build some momentum from that then we're still in with a shout of the paly off's. Home form has got to improve, though, and quickly.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

We should just wear our away kit for games at Moss Lane!

I don't think there's actually anything to stop us doing this. Maybe we should!  :D
Come on Alty!

jimbo

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2009, 09:52:48 PM »

the cult and timperly the best .how can you honestly say little was very poor and mcalisky aswell?.wat did col do wrong .he created chances for senior .controled the ball when he was passed it and did fine.mcalisky just needs match fitness.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »

I wonder why Dens is such a success as a right back for the England C team but seems to have more problems playing for Alty.

Could it be perhaps that, like last night, he is totally and absolutely exposed playing for us. Last night there seemed to be nobody playing in front of him so he was doubled up on by Barrow.

I'd play him either as a wing back or on the right side of midfield in front of Smithy although I do think the back three of Smithy Greg and Robbie (or Welchy) does appeal

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »

Well... I have to say that was an inept and yet again another lacklustre home performance from Alty last night..
The night started bad for me being stuck in the fkn Old Trafford queue from the M6 to the Swan tfc lights.

Cold wet and windy conditions greeted us when we eventually got to the ground..

After watching them play so well at Tamworth last week I though maybe GH would have played Densmore at right midfield rather than fullback.. It seems pretty obvious to me that Densmore isnt happy playing right back. ..
 I am now of the opinion that playing at home induces a mental block into the players as they are a totally differently team when they are on the road..

Yet again the wingers were given far too much room by the Alty defence and had Rutherford  had any sort of finishing talent the game would have been put to bed by half time..

Mcaliskey huffed and puffed and did his best, I reckon that his lack of pace will need addressing if he wants to succeed in the BSP.  he also always seems to be on the back foot rather than his toes when situations occur around him...

i still think that if we can sort out the home form then we are capable of clawing our way back up in the table but they need to do it NOW..

My Alty man of the match .... Smithy closely followed by Danylyk who impresses me the more I see him..

Lets go and sort out the Head tennis fiends of Histon out on Saturday

Cmon Alty.

Spot on Ray in my view.

Longman

« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »

Agree with most of that, although I like 3-5-2 with Densmore and Doughty as wing-backs. One of the few times Shaun looked really good at RB was against Chester. Why? Because the vast majority of the time we were on the front foot, effectively meaning he was playing as a wing-back.

I don't want to go into some hugely detailed and frankly boring tactical assessment of our team, but I just think it's worth mentioning this. Densmore's main weakness as a full-back, IMO, is that when a winger stands Shaun still, then produces a burst of speed to go past him, Shaun lacks the acceleration to keep up with him for the first few yards. He often, as was the case last night, has to resort to last ditch slides in order to try cutting the cross out. Sometimes this isn't enough, other times the winger checks back and Shaun is on his arse. If a centre-half has to come out to meet the winger, we're left very vulnerable in the middle.

In a 3-5-2, Shaun can try to go tight in order to get the challenge in early and burst forward, something he cannot do in a 4-4-2 because it would leave us horribly exposed if he missed the challenge. If he did miss the challenge in a 3-5-2, the right of the three centre-halves moves out to the flank, Doughty as left wing-back tucks in, so we still have three defensive players in the box as well as a man meeting the opposition winger.

Sorry to bleat on, but I just really think it's our best system. Perhaps GH wanted to go for that line-up last night, but Youngy couldn't take his place in the side so he decided against it (any news on why he didn't play?).

It's important to remember we're still having a great season.

Agreed, Densmore is definately better on the right side of midfield or at wing back bombing down the flank.

Barrow

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »

The boo-ing that was heard was the Barrow fans having a go at one of their own players who was winding them up as they were leaving the ground.

Errr, no it wasn't! It was the Barrow fans having a go at Heathcote who was biting like mad and giving all sorts of come on gestures etc. Same old Heathcote!

There was one of our own players (Tim Deasy) warming down nearby though so I can see how you may have been mistaken.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:46:10 PM by Barrow »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Barrow match thread