PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Super Joe O'Neil
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Super Joe O'Neil  (Read 5797 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Super Joe O'Neil
« on: January 07, 2007, 11:34:56 AM »

Thats 5 for the season (4 league and 1 cup) and now level top scorer with Asa. Roughly a goal every 3 games since breaking his duck v Tamworth in Septemeber.

Been consistently getting better in every game, always gives 100% and thoroughly deserved his two goals and man of the match award yesterday. Ever since his early shot was well saved and when he turned and took the ball down on his chest he looked like scoring.

KEEP IT UP JOE - Mentioned also Because I remember some people saying he'd never score 5 goals, well he has now  ;D

Also a mention for Thomson who had a good first half and never gave up running. Obviously not match fit but did enough to me recognised as a potential good Altrincham FC Player... Thoughts ?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Super Joe O'Neil
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »

I'm delighted that he got 2 yesterday, reward for his persistence throughout the season so far.  Again he never stopped running and he took his goals very well. 

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 11:47:44 AM »

Thompson has vey good touch for one so big  and certainly gives his all, but who will start up-front on tues now Little's back?
Full time and proud of it

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »

Agree totally Joe was brilliant yesterday  :D :D

Thomsom has a good touch and a good first half!

GH now has a dilemma, a good one, there is now competotion for places upfront, which should lead to more goals and better play?

Pat, Rod, Joe, Peter and Colin are all looking better than a month ago  ;D ;D

Come on you strikers  ;D ;D ;D

man in the stand

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:14:38 PM »

When Thomson gets the ball he keeps it and he has some neat passes. Surpringsly for his height he doesn't seem to win the headers but maybe that is down to fitness.

Overall the best I've seen Alty play this season..

VofD

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »

Better than they played against Northwich?????

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »

Better than they played against Northwich?????

Northwich was better purely on the basis of playing almost 70 mins with ten men.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »

Thompson has vey good touch for one so big  and certainly gives his all, but who will start up-front on tues now Little's back?

Alty's Peter Crouch???? Maybe a few goals from bicycle kicks next then!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 05:32:38 PM »

I think the vics win was the best, due to 10 men and a clean sheet!

The game against Stevenage was good, we played some open football.

louise1925

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 07:41:39 PM »

For me Joe O'Neil's first goal was one of the best headed goals at Moss Lane for some time. I was stood only a few yards from him when he connected with the ball and he had to do a great deal of work to alter his position and angle the ball into the net. I don't think he's a shot-scoring striker, if you know what I mean, so maybe we need to improve the quality of our crossing and he will score more goals with his head.
I thought Thomson was magnificent again. His sheer physical presence in the penalty area frightens centre backs, or at the very least gives them something to think about and that is what we've been lacking for a few years. The likes of Bentley and Blackburn at Morecambe have found our diddy forwards a bit too lightweight and Thomson provides something a little bit different. I am sure that he will win most things in the air in future games, it just so happens that the two Rushden centre backs were as big as him and he was up against the pair of them!
God knows who GH chooses up front now. It looks like we will score in every match all of a sudden. Col and Thommo? That would be hard on Joe and Rod, not to mention Pat. Agree with posters who suggest all this competition for places is no bad thing. However, a left back has to be a total priority. Warren does his best, but we are very vulnerable down that flank, but I'm 100% sure GH is doing his best to sort this out. Roll on Woking.
AltyBri

Altysmiffy

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 09:41:07 PM »

With 2 from Colin, Thommo and Joe up front, Rodders can go on the wing with Peyton at left back.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 11:35:08 PM »

That could work, Rod has done well out wide, he can practise his dribbling skills.

ioko

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 08:18:37 AM »

Over Xmas and New Year I brought a few "guests" to the Northwich and FGR games and all of them commented on "your No. 12" as being a wholehearted striker who runs his socks off and chases down so many lost causes. Add to that a few goals and his newly found confidence and GH's faith has been rewarded.

Thought that Thommo could have won a few more headers than he did but he does offer something that none of our other strikers do and does hold up and lay off very well.

I still prefer Robbie in the centre but that being REALLY nitpicky on what was a tremendous, gutsy display. 

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 05:23:47 PM »

If the Northwich DVD is to be believed, Rod and Little!  :D

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 05:27:09 PM »

Agree totally Joe was brilliant yesterday  :D :D

Thomsom has a good touch and a good first half!

GH now has a dilemma, a good one, there is now competotion for places upfront, which should lead to more goals and better play?

Pat, Rod, Joe, Peter and Colin are all looking better than a month ago  ;D ;D

Come on you strikers  ;D ;D ;D

I mean, if the ball comes to someone in the box, I'd fancy Rod and Little to score most, so I suppose 2 or 3 can be used as substitutes, or 1 in midfield as necessary.

Great to have the likes of them on the bench! And well done to Pat for his recent performances!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Super Joe O'Neil