Alty & United
- 15 (23.4%)
Alty & City
- 7 (10.9%)
Alty & other
- 9 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: do you support Alty and another team?  (Read 11151 times)

tottenham alty

do you support Alty and another team?
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »

There are a few City and United fans  that follow the club, but was wondering if this is the majority or the minority. Pretty sure this would have been discussed before, but am interested to see the stats. Somebody once told me 90 per cent of Alty fans support City, and I notice we sing a couple of similar songs...

York Alty

Re: do you support Alty and another team?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »

I cannot see how you can support two teams.  There is the possibility of drawing each other in the FA Cup...and then what.  You are going to be cheering for one of the teams you support to lose.

It can't be done. It's one team, or another.

It IS possible to support two clubs who have no realistic chance of meeting in a competitive fixture, i.e. Cowdenbeath and Alty, but even then one of the clubs will come top of your list.  Much easier to stick with ALTRINCHAM FC.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »

There are certain teams whose results I will look out for, especially United, but if Alty have to play them it will always be Alty I will be 100% behind.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:21:13 PM by Jennifers Dad »

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »

Alty, City, Celtic and Dumbarton.

SCOTLAND  :P

Over the years the way I describe it  is that I am an Altrincham supporter and a City etc fan.

Alty is the one that hurts and the one that makes me joyous.

EDITED as it would seem I couldn't form a sentence earlier  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:07:38 PM by RockyRobin »
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:53 PM »

Alty and England 4 me :)
ParkINson's red and white army

York Alty

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »

so far more than 50% of Alty fans also support another team.  aaggghhhh!

markecky

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »

Only one team for me.

Started life as a Liverpool fan on the tele when they were winning everything, converted to Alty aged 11 and the rest is history.

When I was too young to travel away with Alty I used to go on the Kippax and the Stretford End depending on who was at home.

Never got me like Alty did though.

Making it OK to support Alty when all your mates are United and City is one of the clubs biggest challenges in youngest.  A trip to Wembley would help enormously!

MichaelH

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »

I don't really like football, I prefer cricket much more BUT I always look at the results of  Leeds and Altrincham.

I started to like Altrincham (You might all laugh!) but by Football Manager! I always play them mainly because my Nana used to live next door to Colin Little when he was young  ;D

Longman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:11:10 PM »

Alty and England 4 me :)

Same here mate.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:11:54 PM »

The only team that matters to the point that days, evenings, weekends are spoiled/celebrated is Altrincham FC.  I've followed since 1971, aged 9, when, by chance, having played Saturday football, a mate said he was being taken to City by his dad. Not to be outdone, I bolted home and demanded my dad relinquish his Saturday seat in front of Dickie Davies to take me to United........my dad being a Utd fan, and me not getting the home/away situation. He agreed, well my mum made him agree, to spend some time with me. He reluctantly took me to Altrincham v Ellesmere Port Town, we won 4-2, an old guy in the Golf Rd gave me a Blue Riband biscuit, and I only missed one further home game that season. My dad drove me to Stafford, Fleetwood, Nantwich, Sandbach Ramblers, in the snow to a called off game at Rossendale, Macclesfield, Stockport..Cheshire Cup?...Buxton, Great Harwood and many more.

Thanks, my old 9 yr old mate Nigel, and thanks Dad for hooking me up to a life long affair.

Shudders, I could have been a Utd fan.

My boy follows Fulham, and previously followed AFC Wimbledon, being the local club. I attend fixtures involving both , more Fulham now, but I just cannot get too excited or involved in the results, even if I want the team to win for him. If they lose well so what, its not the same feeling.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:23:19 PM by SW »
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:13:08 PM »

Alty 1903
Liverpool
The  Dons  - Aberdeen (Soccer casuals and all that) 1903

Was strange going to Anfield in 1981

Liverpool also played Aberdeen earlier that season too in the European cup

All my teams won their own FA cups in 1986 too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:44:02 PM by rigsby »

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »

Its the one that hurts when they loose, thats your team. Wierd but I do enjoy the odd game between neutral teams its nice to relax and just enjoy sometimes. Alty 100%

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »

Up until 1974 I was a diehard Man Utd Fan, until they started having problems and troubles in the early 70s where I found the atmosphere intimidating and felt unsafe on occasions.

I went to an Alty game with my mate from college on October 06th 1974 Monday night at home to Buxton (we won 5-1) and have not looked back since. I became hooked on non-league football. Though I occasionally miss the really big crowds I much prefer the atmosphere at the Alty games with no intimidation whatsoever and the general banter between home and away fans. Not pure blind hatred as was felt at games on the early 70s.

Despite this I still retain a soft-spot for United and watch them on TV both in the Premiership and Europe if Alty are not at home, but it the event of an FA cup away draw let me make this crystal - I would be in the away end!! I even go to United games on very rare occasions when Alty are not playing, but I get home a lot later than when I go to Alty, and it is more hassle. I like to watch all football and have been a supporter at neutral games when I have been on my travels. My brother lives in Norwich so I have seen Norwich City a few times. Chris my elder son is at Newcastle University and has watched Newcastle a couple of times already. I intend to go to the Gateshead game away next February and meet Chris there if his University work permits.

Oh and by the way, I am very patriotic and love England to bits; cant wait until the 2010 world cup.

You can enjoy watching more than one club as I have done on many occasions, but I know where my heart lies deep down. And it is not down to me being fickle, it is just a deep love of the game of football. A game were I can admire great players and wish to god I could be one, but cant because Im crap at football. I was on ok goalie though many years ago, but not as good as our Alex is - my youngest. Chris my eldest plays at left back for his University side and both my kids are Cheshire FA referees and they have my fullest support. They love the game as much as I do!!

Even though an armchair United fan I do not mind City either and wish them well, but I dont half feel sorry for Mark Hughes, but that's another story. City are after all another Manc side. Maybe being an Alty fan allows me to sit on the fence re United and City except when they play each other, in which case I am red!

Sort that one out if you can!!

Narcissist

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »

When I think of support, its more than financial support. However, for Alty they need our financial support the most. That somehow seems to then translate to us lot then emotionally supporting 11 men and the surrounding club to the point of tears (of joy and despair).

Alty is the only club I feel like that for.

I have, through alty, a nagging desire to go and watch the local football team. Its probably because i can relate to the passion that surrounds me from the local lads n lasses who live for it. I thrive off the emotion that feeds the crowd. Right now that means going to watch OGC Nice, who have a definite place in my heart now, i'll follow their results for the rest of my years. I follow the results of loads of clubs though and i'll go to any game you can get me a ticket for. I love football.

Im a football snob. Living abroad you get to meet a million and one United fans who've never even been near Manchester. They can have it branded on their forehead for all I care they arent proper football fans. Theyre commercial fans, even if they choose a crap team they still chose. If it was as easy as choosing for me i'd be a deserved Man U fan. But i went to Moss Lane and chanted Barry Crowe for 40 minutes etc, that stuffs more addictive than crack.

THE ONLY TEAM FOR ME IS ALTRINCHAM FC

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 11:05:08 PM »

When I think of support, its more than financial support. However, for Alty they need our financial support the most. That somehow seems to then translate to us lot then emotionally supporting 11 men and the surrounding club to the point of tears (of joy and despair).

Alty is the only club I feel like that for.

I have, through alty, a nagging desire to go and watch the local football team. Its probably because i can relate to the passion that surrounds me from the local lads n lasses who live for it. I thrive off the emotion that feeds the crowd. Right now that means going to watch OGC Nice, who have a definite place in my heart now, i'll follow their results for the rest of my years. I follow the results of loads of clubs though and i'll go to any game you can get me a ticket for. I love football.

Im a football snob. Living abroad you get to meet a million and one United fans who've never even been near Manchester. They can have it branded on their forehead for all I care they arent proper football fans. Theyre commercial fans, even if they choose a crap team they still chose. If it was as easy as choosing for me i'd be a deserved Man U fan. But i went to Moss Lane and chanted Barry Crowe for 40 minutes etc, that stuffs more addictive than crack.

THE ONLY TEAM FOR ME IS ALTRINCHAM FC
k
Some good points there OGC. Guy at work who goes home and away, abroad etc with Man Utd from SE London/Kent. I keep telling him, no matter how many games he goes to, no matter how much hardship and cash he spends he will ALWAYS be a mockney red and even his fellow fans (Manc ones) will never fully accept him.

Harsh? maybe; but true?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 do you support Alty and another team?