Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can Tuesday, 16th February 2010 really be.....

Author Topic: Can Tuesday, 16th February 2010 really be.....  (Read 3061 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 15, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »

....the 19th anniversary of our 9-2 annihilation of Merthyr Tydfil at Moss Lane?

That makes me feel almost as old as George Heslop....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Can Tuesday, 16th February 2010 really be.....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »

I was living in Paris at the time - every Monday morning I had to walk about a kilometer from my office to a newsagents where with trembling hands, I'd turn to the sports pages...

By this time I'd begun to BELIEVE that we might do something - the Monday before the Merthr game, I discovered a match report in the Daily Telegraph of our 3-2 win that Saturday against Kettering (McKenna 90).  I bought the paper for 30 FF (normally I just quickly scanned the results).  Kettering haad been unbeaten to Christmas and were about 20 points clear...

On the Thursday morning (it took a day to get the papers in those days), as I once more trekked up to La Grande Arche de la Defense, opened the paper with trembling hands... and dropped it on the floor where the wind picked it up and blew it into about 5 seperate pieces.  Another 30 francs spent...

Well, I thought, I wish we'd kept a few goals up our sleeves for Boston away on Saturday...

Internet makes life too easy.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »

At my Mums somewhere I have the double page spread that was in the Messenger.

It had each scorers head in the a football and a picture of Gary Wager on his back with a jubilant Golf Road.

We also had the full back page...heady times indeed and a bit on the front as well.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »

"Moss Lane Massacre"

What a great day!
Come on Alty!

joe

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »

I remember Gary Wager actually had a really good match despite conceding nine!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:54:05 PM »

Someone, somewhere has a copy of that game. I remember them getting the vhs of it (I think it might have been the mysterious A. Armour but he hasn't been able to produce it since).

I know that like Keyser Zhose it exists though because BBC WAles were there filiming it for the welsh highlights programme.

I know that we had to pay BBC a wedge for using their footage on the Giantkillers video but I'd pay any amount of Pounds or Francs to retriece that from sdomewhere.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:17:34 AM »

Someone, somewhere has a copy of that game. I remember them getting the vhs of it (I think it might have been the mysterious A. Armour but he hasn't been able to produce it since).

I know that like Keyser Zhose it exists though because BBC WAles were there filiming it for the welsh highlights programme.

I know that we had to pay BBC a wedge for using their footage on the Giantkillers video but I'd pay any amount of Pounds or Francs to retriece that from sdomewhere.

Ballers,

I'm pretty certain that Brian Flynn is in possession of a video featuring the BBC Wales footage of that match....complete with commentary in Welsh, I believe!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:46:08 AM »

Ballers,

I'm pretty certain that Brian Flynn is in possession of a video featuring the BBC Wales footage of that match....complete with commentary in Welsh, I believe!

Whilst I agree that it is the most sacred of possessions it should be seen.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:01:37 PM »

Ballers,

Whilst I agree that it is the most sacred of possessions it should be seen.

I'll endeavour to prise that video out of his archives before this season concludes.

I believe that he also has priceless video footage of the mighty Tunna scoring at Wycombe!

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team