News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Long drawn out cup ties

Author Topic: Long drawn out cup ties  (Read 1985 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Long drawn out cup ties
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »

I know the Tamworth game has taken a long time to not get played, but does anyone remember:

APL Cup Quarter Final 1981-2 (I think)

1st leg: Alty 1 Northwich 0 November
2nd leg: Vics 1 Alty3 March 1st - I think the only time I've seen Alty win at the Drill Field - and our second goal was scored by Barry Howard, who (more or less) caught the ball on the half way line, ran with it in his hands for 10 yards or so, dropped it, rounded Dave Ryan and rifled it into the top corner. 
So 5 months between first and second legs, and I remember the date of the second leg as it was the anniversary of our 'tiltle clinching' 3-2 win over Weymouth a couple of years before.

Only competition for me was a NWFL game at Hyde in 1977-8 which ended up being played the Monday after the Trophy final, and after I'd been to Ewen Fields three or four times (by train) to watch Hyde United training sessions as the game had been postponed whilst I was in transit.

reminiscent of ou

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Long drawn out cup ties
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 01:49:05 AM »

Oh yes, Mark Ward scored for Vics as well. Funnily enough whilst at a Xmas business boozeup in Soho it transpired that one of the blokes used to go to school in Northwich. When pressed on the obvious question in turned out he was more of an eggchaser and had been to one footy match ever. It was at the Swill and the only thing he can remember was that Vics were playing Alty and the team in red & white won 3-1!

As if it needs saying .... Alty's everywhere.......
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Long drawn out cup ties