News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 PADDY FAGAN R.I.P.

Author Topic: PADDY FAGAN R.I.P.  (Read 2705 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
PADDY FAGAN R.I.P.
« on: February 01, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »

I dont remember this being posted on the forum before and I dont get the MEN, but Paddy Fagan passed away a couple of months ago, aged 84 years.
If my memory is correct Fionan (Paddy was his nickname when he arrived in England - what a surprise and how original !) was the first Alty manager (player-manager) in the White and Swales era.
His father Jack, played in the first ever Irish international match - then known as the Irish Free State, forerunner of the Republic of Ireland. Fionan also played for Ireland during his Manchester City days. What has been posted on this forum before, is that he was the last player to score for Alty in a game played on Christmas Day. He was seen watchintg matches at Moss lane even later in his life. Another lovely character in Alty history.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: PADDY FAGAN R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »

I remember watching Paddy as a nipper.

Tricky little winger if I recall  it correctly

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:26:52 PM »

I worked with paddy in the 1980s at Trafford Council

A real gentleman and a proper nice guy who remembered the Club fondly from what I recall

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:52:13 AM »

There was a nice long article in the programme from last Saturday's match between Ireland and Scotland remembering Fionan as an ex-Irish international as well as his Dad, Jack who played in the first ever Republic of Ireland team.
They also mentioned that Fionan went on to be player manager of Altrincham.
R.I.P.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:34:53 PM »

I dont remember this being posted on the forum before and I dont get the MEN, but Paddy Fagan passed away a couple of months ago, aged 84 years.
If my memory is correct Fionan (Paddy was his nickname when he arrived in England - what a surprise and how original !) was the first Alty manager (player-manager) in the White and Swales era.
His father Jack, played in the first ever Irish international match - then known as the Irish Free State, forerunner of the Republic of Ireland. Fionan also played for Ireland during his Manchester City days. What has been posted on this forum before, is that he was the last player to score for Alty in a game played on Christmas Day. He was seen watchintg matches at Moss lane even later in his life. Another lovely character in Alty history.

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=13014.0

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 PADDY FAGAN R.I.P.